 Robotics / NXT / 342
Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Juergen Stuber wrote:
Hi Chris,

"Chris Phillips" <drvegetable@comcast.net> writes:

It would seem that the motors are controlled using digital
command packets sent over an I2C interface, and the actual
motor control waveforms are generated internally to the
servo motor unit itself.

that is not quite right, there is an ATMEGA48 microcontroller
insider the NXT Brick which generates the waveforms.
It is connected to the main processor via an I2C-style interface.

Besides that it also controls power to the NXT, legacy sensors
and firmware reset.

Ah, thanks for the correction.  I've only studied portions of the hardware docs
so far, mostly regarding the sensor ports.  I realized after I posted that I
hadn't completely checked my facts.  (I hate when that happens!)

So does this mean that the motor multiplexer that LEGO has hinted about would
have to be connected to a sensor port?  Or is there some way to reconfigure the
ATMEGA micro to pass the I2C through to a motor port?