 Robotics / NXT / 322
Re: Improving the firmware?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:20:05 GMT

Hi all,

I doubt this will go through, as I've never been able to post anything
to this group yet...

I know that the group of us working on the Transterpreter[1] are
actively interested in collaborating on such an effort. While the kinds
of improvements you're suggesting are interesting, we're most interested
in developing a code and documentation base that supports developers in
extending the existing or writing new firmwares for the NXT.

To be concrete, we are not interested in participating in a hack-fest on
the existing firmware; this is the state of things on the RCX. That is,
to understand the RCX hardware, one must read broadly across a number of
libraries and firmwares to understand (say) how to initialize the
hardware, handle various sensors, etc. To avoid this kind of
fragmentation of knowledge, we would love to participate in an effort
that documents as well as extends the existing firmware, so that
hobbyists, students, and researchers who come after us can take the
appropriate bits and pieces to support the task they have at hand.

Ultimately, we would like to see the firmware deconstructed and
documented as a collection of tools that alternative runtime authors can
use as a starting point for their own projects. But that's our own
personal bent.

We're happy to offer hosting at baseplate.org, Subversion access,
wikis/weblogs, and any other reasonable services to help support this
effort if it is of interest.

Many thanks,
Matt

[1] http://www.transterpreter.org/

John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Guy Ziv wrote:
Ideas anyone? What would you improve in the firmware? Anyone interested in such
a community project?

I am very interested in a community project to enhance the NXT standard
firmware.  I've submitted a few bug fixes and enhancements to LEGO already which
hopefully will make it into the next official firmware release.

Enhancements I plan on submitting to LEGO and the community for inclusion in
either the standard firmware or a community-built alternate firmware that is
compatible with the standard firmware are:

1. New system calls which allow for executing low level IOMAP functions from a
running program.

2. New opcodes: wait, shl, shr, abs, sign

3. Enhancements to the drawing system calls (or new ones) which provide for
various bitwise operations such as set, clear, and, or, xor with existing pixel
data.

I will definitely work to help build a strong community effort to improve the
standard NXT firmware.

John Hansen