 Robotics / NXT / 320
Re: Improving the firmware?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:18:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Guy Ziv wrote:
Ideas anyone? What would you improve in the firmware? Anyone interested in such
a community project?

I am very interested in a community project to enhance the NXT standard
firmware.  I've submitted a few bug fixes and enhancements to LEGO already which
hopefully will make it into the next official firmware release.

Enhancements I plan on submitting to LEGO and the community for inclusion in
either the standard firmware or a community-built alternate firmware that is
compatible with the standard firmware are:

1. New system calls which allow for executing low level IOMAP functions from a
running program.

2. New opcodes: wait, shl, shr, abs, sign

3. Enhancements to the drawing system calls (or new ones) which provide for
various bitwise operations such as set, clear, and, or, xor with existing pixel
data.

I will definitely work to help build a strong community effort to improve the
standard NXT firmware.

John Hansen