 Robotics / NXT / 398
Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 01:34:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Rafe Donahue wrote:
   So, I guess I need a force sensor, ie, an NXT scale, but something more than just the binary on/off of a (not sensitive enough) touch sensor.

Can you say Posterior Bayes Estimate?

Well put quite simply...

The probability of some event A occurring given that event B has occurred is equal to the probability of event B occurring given that event A has occurred, multiplied by the probability of event A occurring and divided by the probability of event B occurring.

P(A | B) = P(A)  x ( P(B | A) / P(B) )

Let’s look at a collection of red and white balls, some of which are large and some small. Let us say there are more small white than large white. Then by measuring the size of the ball we can improve our chances of correctly guessing whether the ball is red or white. Now start with 50 red and 50 white. Without knowing how the colors are distributed between the large and small balls we have a probability of 0.5 picking a white ball. (Prior probability) If we are told that all the small balls are white (the equivalent of a likelihood ratio), then knowing the size will allow us to determine whether or not we have picked a white or red (posterior probability). Imagine now that the correlation between small and white is not perfect. Knowing how the size and color is distributed in the population of balls, and the size of the ball we have picked, will give us a better estimate of the color of the ball.

Bayes stated that the probability of a white ball in a population of small balls is equal to the probability of white balls in the total population multiplied by the probability of a small ball within the white population divided by the probability of a small in the total population.

(Nah, I had no clue without googling it, either.)