 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4369
Re: You get to choose!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:15:21 GMT

Woo-hoo!  FWIW, my thoughts on the choices:

1.  Yellow Castle.  This was my vote without hesitation.  All bricks, no
panels!  This is true building.  As the set that began the castle theme,
this is a legend.  I'm not worried about some changes as some have
been--that should keep the collectors happy anyway.  Mainly it's just a
great design.  I've often considered assembling the pieces from Bricklink
and putting together an approximation of this one, but would much rather buy
it complete (and not at the outrageous e-bay prices).

2.  Main Street.  Another great set.  Is the Legends line our only source of
Town anymore?  This set has lots of elements and rebuild possibilities, so
it could be the core of any budding town enthusiast's collection.

3.  Black Falcon castle.  Nice design and I'd get it, but there are too many
panels for my taste.  I've always felt that these were cheating.  Also, I
can't be overly excited by the promise of a yellow tudor wall, which some
have promoted as the selling point.  You'd need several to make any building
and so this one goes in the worthless parts pile until I hit the lottery and
can afford to pay $35 for one piece.

4.  Battrax.  Sorry, spaceheads, this doesn't do it for me.  Blacktron came
in my Dark Ages so I don't have any emotional attachment to this.  For me
the true space legends are the originals--galaxy explorer, space cruiser,
alpha-1 rocket base, rocket launcher, etc.  Oh, black shutters don't sell
this set for me for the same reason as one yellow wall doesn't sell the
Black Falcon set.

5.  Black Seas Barracuda.  A really great set, but I probably wouldn't buy
it.  It's too expensive for a theme I'm not otherwise invested in.  Plus
you'd think that Lego would wait a couple of years after the Red Beard
Runner to rerelease another big pirate ship.

Bruce