 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4413
Re: Desiring Machine (was Re: You get to choose!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:46:52 GMT

Ben writes:
Just turn the medal and I tell you: it is greed that makes people wanting to
have these legends...(Stupid argument of mine? Agree - but is yours the >better one?)

Well, perhaps -- there is certainly desire for certain elements.  I think we
would all be served better by more selection in the accessory packs, but if
the only way to get some things are going to be the Legend and Classics
lines, then so be it.  TLC and LD makes these decisions, I just try to guage
how clever the decisions happen to be and whether it is worth it to me as a
builder to buy certain sets.

Why not? Because you dislike collectors?

Not really.  It's just that except for MISB condition sets (which still
doesn't appeal to me collector-wise), paying top dollar for any lego is
wildly foolish -- with an open box, there are simply too many variables to
account for.

I feel differently about individual elements, but then I do not personally
acquire them for collector purposes, but rather for building purposes.

Agree - but the costs would be the same for a changed design: Lego made new
instructions anyway and the costs are the same if 10001 is grey or dark gray:
they had to take for e.g. the nose piece mould back into production anyway.

My understanding of the situation is that LD isn't making new molds, so I am
not sure I follow the argument here.  Plus, I feel pretty sure that they are
using the same old instructions reprinted, so again there is a presumed
savings on not having to do as much work for the manual that comes with the
sets.

Tell me why? The building of the set is the same challenge. Why do you need a
copy of 375 that is as near to the real one as possible?

Building challenge?  It comes with instructions and even if it did not, it
doesn't look like brain surgery anyway.

The point of a near perfect reproduction is to get the elements that are
desireable from the set, like the visors, steep corner slopes, and the 1x1x1
windows.

If so - why rerelease 375 if bulk could do the same?

No arguments again. If we had all the elements we needed as builders
available as accessory packs or in other easily obtainable sets, I wouldn't
give a fig for the Legends or Classics lines.  The reality is that TLC/LD
wants to release certain things this way -- I presume there is a profit
motive that prevents them from releasing the accessory packs of our dreams.
So that's where we are.

But BTW, while you claim not to be a collector you do make pointedly
hilarious statements elsewhere like: "Because a reprint of Mona Lisa is not
the Mona Lisa even if you buy the poster in the Louvre. A fake is a fake."

What precisely is the motive for such a statement?  I agree that quality
control is an issue for TLC/LD, but the issue is not that severe - esp. when
it comes to plain elements without printing.

But to pursue your terrible analogy a little further, I ask which is the
original "one and only" of any lego design such that we can compare it to
the Mona Lisa?  There is none, all lego products are mass produced.  So
again, to follow your limping analogy a little further, we are comparing the
first run of a thing to the second run of a thing for which there is no
original. And frankly, who cares which one you get if all you want are the
unique elements of a particular color from a specific set?

Clever and fun toy? -- yes.  Works of art? -- no.

-- Hop-Frog