 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4398
Legends: good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 04:12:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

XPFUT .general
<snipped it all>

First off, this is XPFUT'd to .general because I'd like to spark an
intelligent conversation about the Legends line.  I don't want this to turn
into some kind of argument or debate.

Ben,

I can understand your point as a collector.  But, like so many have echoed
now and in the past, lego is not a very suitable collector's item.  Tell me
- what is the difference (other than the age and the mold) between a yellow
2x4 brick from the 375 and a 3033?  Nothing.  They're all the same.  They
are bricks, plain and simple.  They are designed to have fun playing with.

You call these new sets "fakes."  Why?  They are just as official as the
originals, and the new product line gives people like me (only 19) an
opportunity to experience these great sets for ourselves.  There are a
number of reasons why people want sets that were unavailable to them.  Age,
dark ages, lack of money at the time, etc.  Why should I have to pay out
$400 for a yellow castle on eBay, when it's really worth a lot less to me?

If I were a collector, I'm sure I'd say different.  But I'm a hobbyist.
These plastic bricks, that so many people from so many different
demographics enjoy, are merely a hobby to me.  I don't buy a set with the
intent of keeping in box, or holding onto it for some-odd years and hawking
it on eBay or the like.  I buy a set for that feeling - that experience that
you get when you build a fun (and sometimes challenging) set, admire it,
dismantle it, and build something new out of it.  What fun are the bricks in
your "original" yellow castle or "original" metroliner if all they do is sit
on a shelf looking like a yellow castle or metroliner and collect dust?

I can't understand why anyone would not like these new legends sets, unless
it was merely a "hey, I have that and it's rare, and I don't want you to
have it too" attitude.  Like Rick said, it's a form of greed.  I'm not
saying that's *your* motivation, but if it's something else, please explain
it to me so that I can understand your side.

I remember when I was a little kid, and I'd see all these great sets like
the Black Seas Barracuda and the Black Falcon's Fortress that I couldn't
have.  Whether it was because my parents couldn't afford them, or because
they thought I wouldn't take care of them, or whatever, I don't know.  But I
can remember saying "someday".  Well, now that someday is here.  Lego has
listened to their customers and is bringing back the best sets from the
golden ages.  And I'm nothing but ecstatic that I can get back a little
shred of those memories, and actually get to experience a build that would
have otherwise been lost to me.

My .02,

-Chris