 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4405
Re: Legends in stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:59:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I suppose it is cold comfort if there isn't a Lego outlet store near you,
but the Lego store in Anaheim (Downtown Disney, accessible without going
into the park) carries the Legend line.  They even got in the new Blacksmith
Shop this week (Metroliner, Guarded Inn, Pizza to Go were all there).  I
didn't want to have pay the shipping charges on the Blacksmith Shop, so I
just waited until it showed up at the outlet store.  There is something
about actually having the box in front of you that shopping by mail doesn't
satisfy.

Bruce

Arrgh! Why doesn't Lego set up a direct shop in Arizona? I know they
probably have them in California, NY, and near their corporate HQ, but It
seems where I live, is the last place to get Lego at a decent price. :(

If only Lego released Legend sets in toy shops, or even better, hobby shops.
It seems to me, that Lego co. doesn't take to full, their marketing potential.
I mean, there are a lot of opportunities out there for marketing, such as
placing actually decent products on store shelves, placing bulk quaitity
sets and accessory packs next the lego aisle, and possibly minifigure,
architectural, brick quantity, foliage, landscaping and technic accessory
packs on store shelves.

If a store like this were to be like every toy shop (not Lego direct stores),
with reasonable prices, and a diverse selection, then I might actually go
back to the store and *buy* lego again. Now, they're missing potential
profits on my part, and most of them probably go to some old senile toy
collectors on ebay. A shame? Definitely!

Can Lego fix this?
They should!

Perhaps this lack of convenience is due to the fact that Lego corporation's
inner echeleon seriously comtempletes that they may be facing competition,
not from only clone bricks, but from the action figure line (e.g jack stone?
bionicle sets?) If this is true, perhaps they think on the borderline that
they need to introduce kits with a low complexity level so that when they're
(consumers) finished building, they grow slowly bored, and go to the toy
store for more, hoping to find something more complex, more on a futile
basis. Perhaps it's time for a change to look back to the basic bricks,
technic parts, and architecture to add integrity to the model, not just sell
it from behind a brand name label, or take the bandwagon approach. IMO

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112