 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4392
Re: Desiring Machine (was Re: You get to choose!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:47:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Matt Hein writes:

I tried to not to be too much of a "me too" person around Lugnet, but I
thought I would have to throw in my agrument here too. On Beneke's opinion.

When I was younger, I never had a chance to get my hands on a Battrax,
Yellow Castle or even a Black Falcon's fortress. Instead, the only sets I
had a chance to get were exploriens, unitron and royal knights, not the best
items, but still great sets. However, I never got a chance to get my hands
on the
real sets" such as classic castle and space sets.

I never collected Lego for value, no way! I took up the brick solely because
I wanted to build something awesome. But what Beneke wrote about turning
Legends into "faked up sets" I firmly disagree with. If you re-release a
set, most likely you will see changes (i.g old parts thet no longer can be made)
Even though some parts have changed, and the sets are now a current product,
does that really change the set? I think not!

Legends were made for a reason, they were popular sets with a wide appeal to
a variety of collectors, adult and kid alike. Even though the cash value of
the set has been lost, think of it in a good term, now Lego fans of all ages
can get an equal chance to get their hands on something they couldn't get
before. Lego isn't about value. Adult collectors shouldn't be the only
people to get thair hands on a particular set. Unfortunately, some people
seem to think so.
Remember, Lego wasn't made to be stacked brick by brick locked in a safe.
Lego was meant to be built.

Anyway, J. Irvine's opinion pretty much sums it up, but I thought I had
to add my two cents to this deal. You see, well...that's my nature...

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112

Amen!

I have to agree.  And I, for one, have grown up with UFO, town JR, and
Insectoids, and believe me, I ain't happy with it!

:-)

Lego Legends are supposed to be that: legends.  I think that if you don't
count a set as a legend just because its equally avaliable and dosn't go for
absurdly high prices, you are doing something wrong.

John Kruer