 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4348
Re: You get to choose!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:01:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:

Working for LEGO Direct is always fun, but every once in a while a project
comes along that just makes me giddy when I get to come here and announce
it. Today, such an announcement is made.

We would like to invite you all to choose our next LEGO Legend release! We
have selected five sets from years past (one of which should make Tim
Courtney very happy). These sets were legends in their time for a number of
reasons, all of which you can read about at:

http://www.LEGO.com/build

or at the voting itself at:

http://www.LEGO.com/myOpinions

Around the end of May, we will announce the winning set. Before you know it,
you will be able to order it from LEGO Shop At Home! Some sets will take
more time to prepare for production, so I can't give a firm launch date, but
the goal is to produce the winner before the end of the year.

And no, the winner of this vote is not the last Legend for the year...

So what are you waiting for?? Head on over to the LEGO Web site now and put
in your 2 cents!!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Senior Producer
LEGO Direct

Well folk, just returned from voting (how could I resist!) and those are
some "interesting" choices.  Let me post here what my impressions as a 25+
year Fan-O-LEGO and an owner of what my wife calls,"too much LEGO":

1.  Yellow Castle 375--definitely a Legend.  It began the Castle theme and
forcast the future of minifigure and thematic sets.  If you are a collector
or have never had the set, certainly worth the title.  Did I vote for it?
No.  I love Castle to death, but I own this one, or could at least build it
a few times over.  The minifigures and accessories are not enough to draw me
to it and I'd rather have this set in a different color.  Love it, but not
enough to buy it.

2.  Main Street 6390--Definitely a Legend.  As I said of 375, this set a
standard for the development of the Town theme.  As a kid this one was the
center of every city and much of my play with "my old LEGO", the old idea
book really expanded my use of this set as well.  Great features and fun, it
would be way cool to see how LEGO would update this one.  Complaint!  How
can you change the Cypress Tree!?!  I can buy a forest of them, but you
won't put one in this set?!  That tall tree balances the tall buildings.
Still, worth the money, would buy it for my son as I think they will do this
one.  I, however did not cast my vote here, but he did :)

3.  Black Falcons Fortress 6074--Awesome set!  This is a Legend to me, if
not to others here.  This set redefined and redirected Castle into modular
sets designed to be stand alone or interconected.  Gray walls make it seem
more realistic and the company of knights seem adequate to post on guard
duty and build an army from multiple copies.  The selling points here are
Gray castle walls and corners, Black Falcon Knights (pikemen, bowmen and
cavalry!), yellow Tudor walls, and a low, crazy LOW price point!!!  I will
spend all of my hard earned brick money on as many copies as I can get of
this great Castle Theme set!!!!  Obviously I am a Castle head and have
placed my vote for the Black Falcon fortress.  Primary reason:  I can get
bunches of these at this suggested price to add to my own Castle World.

4.  Battrax 6941--Cool Space addition, but Legend?  I wonder what criteria
brought this model into the mix?  This was a very nice set with nice parts
(love theme retro-rubber tires!), but why did they not go back to the
landmark Galaxy Explorer 497 or Galaxy Commander 6980 with just a few modern
changes as those suggested of the first two????  No, not a Legend, but if
the reissue the Blacktron series the way they have done of Western and
Pirate, then perhaps it would be worthy.  No vote here.  No offense
Spaceheads, just that I know they could do (and MUST) do better.  As a
matter of fact, I believe that LEGO will issue a redone 497 around
Christmas.  I have money riding on that...

5.  Black Seas Barracuda 6285--Ooooo, a Legend for sure.  I think a new in
box direct from Lego would be a steal at $100 and I would buy it.  This set
has perfect grade play features, parts list and fun fun fun!!  I have
drooled over this set for 10 years, passed once on a $75 KMart set (doh!)
and it is now going for anywhere between $100 and $400 on eBay!?  But, yes
there is a but, is now the time for this set?  Already they have a Large
Pirate set on the market (granted, it  is not as cool), perhaps they should
let the other Large Pirate sets sell down before they redo this one.
Personally I love this set and *want* to buy it, just not yet.  I think
timing is important with a set of this price point, and there is to much
market competition coming from the Pirate sets currently available.  LEGO
get back to me on this one in a year, or after you no longer have Pirate
Battle Ship 6290 available.  Not a no, just a not yet vote (gads! My budget
can only take so much!).  Way cool though!!!

That is what I think and how I voted.  I REALLY want to se LEGO do some
Classic Space reissues with a few modern changes, that would rock!  I really
would like to see Pirate and Imperial Guards/Soldiers return in a BIG way.
And I am absoultly ga-ga over LEGO Castle theme, more is better, and I only
have two Black Falcon torsos!  So more than 20 Black Falcon Fortress 6074
would be good to add to my collection.  And I mean it!
Thank you LEGO Direct for bringing to life old dreams.
-Aaron West-
Lugnet member #279