 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4373
4372  |  4374
Subject:
Legends in stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:00:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
We would like to invite you all to choose our next LEGO Legend release! We
have selected five sets from years past
[snip]
Around the end of May, we will announce the winning set. Before you know it,
you will be able to order it from LEGO Shop At Home!

So-- If I may ask, how are Legends doing as a product line? Are we likely to
see "legends" in stores? Are the Wild West & Pirate sets currently in stores
considered "legends"?

I guess why I ask is that I'd much prefer them in stores. I hate to admit
it, but I *am* somewhat of an impulse Lego buyer. If the Guarded Inn were
released in stores, I'd have at least 10. As it is I have 2. I'd have a few
Breezeway Cafe's, Pizza Shop's, and even a Metroliner (of course I probably
*will* end up buying one of each of these from S@H-- just not as many as if
they were in stores).

The scary thing is that I'm buying less and less Lego-- not because I don't
*want* to mind you, but because of that whole psychological impulse buying
dealy. I used to check out every KB toy store for a good markdown.
Occasionally I'd go to TRU for no reason other than to pick up a few sets
and build them-- no projects in mind, just buying. If I passed a WalMart or
an Ames I'd go in and browse the Lego section looking for something to spark
my interest.

But now? I've stopped going to KayBee entirely. I don't go into stores that
I pass by in my car. If I'm in the store already I'll check out their Lego,
but that's pretty much it. And I'll admit I've tried to visit TRU a couple
times on a buying binge. But 90% of the time I buy *NOTHING*. Jack Stone?
Ick. Bionicle? Ick. Soccer sets? Eh. Alpha team? Eh. Galidor? Blech. Only
thing that occasionally sparks my intrest is Star Wars...

Then I look at a S@H catalog and there's SO much I want to buy. Lego
Legends, parts packs, "model team" style sets, sculptures, etc. If *these*
were in stores? I'd be buying twice a week. But for whatever reason, I'm
always less inclined to buy from S@H or via Lego.com than from a store.
Maybe it's the fact that it's not right in front of me. Maybe it's cuz
paying by cash or check is either not possible or too time consuming to do
via S@H. Maybe it's the shipping time. I dunno.

Anyway, I realize that service packs, sculptures, and things like the
Sopwith Camel/UCS sets just don't sell well in stores, but what about
Legends? I'd assume they still possess the same appeal for kids as they did
when they were released-- and they can range in price just like "standard"
sets (and unlike sculptures & UCS sets which just sit on shelves due to high
price & size). Is there a chance we'll see things like Battrax and Black
Falcon's Fortress hit the store shelves ever?

DaveE