 Off-Topic / Debate / 9092
Re: Credibility... (Was: Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!"))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:46:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
And just because I found myself thinking about it, I earned over 190 hours
credit in philosophy when in school... Wonder if I could get retroactive
credit for all these Lugnet debates? Easily a term's worth of papers--
backed with the occasional quotes from relevant philosophers even! And just
out of further utter curiosity, anyone else have any other philosophy or
religion credentials lying around?

Self-aggrandizement.

Not really... I was thinking about applying the same logic in reverse-- I.E.
that if I studied philosophy whether I'd somehow earn your respect in my
arguments. But you'll notice I didn't do that. I just thought about it for a
minute. But if you're going to presume my intent, I'll try and clarify it
for you...

The reason I asked about other people's credit was just curiosity.
Scientific research, you might say. Which ones among us have studied
philosophy? Which ones of those that have do I agree with, and which do I
disagree with? Are those who have studied philosphy's thought processes
similar? Is there a common debate style? Etc. And to tell you the truth, I
think I'd have more respect for you if you DIDN'T study philosophy-- I would
never have gotten as far as I have without some prodding and experience in
certain areas. If someone else has gotten this far without that prodding and
experience, I'm that much more impressed.

And a potentially more relevant matter, but still off-topic... only 60 hours
of credit towards a math/science degree? How many courses is that? 2? My
terms at school (7 week terms, which are comparatively REALLY quick
college-wise) were 28 hours per course. Most college courses are what? 10
week terms? So about what? 30-40 hours per class? Anyway, that's pretty
non-relevant, as stated below, but rather odd that you'd even bother to
state something so trivial. Kinda makes me think he was really reaching to
attain credibility. But that's just my impression.

Not that I know the answer for this guy, but different colleges award credit
hours differently.  I've attended 4 colleges and they all used different
measures of "credit hours".

Actually you're totally right. I admit I had never heard of credit 'hours'
until the day after I posted, at which point I asked someone if they were
indeed what I thought they were, since 60 credit hours seemed trivially
insignificant. And on that note, I'll just go FURTHER off topic and say who
came up with such a dumb way of denoting credit? Why call them "credits"
instead of "credit *hours*" if they have nothing to do with the actual hours
you spent? Anyway, suffice to say from hearing my friends assumption about
credit hours, it sounds like 60 credit hours is about 20-30 courses, which
is about 2 or 3 years worth-- a much more significant chunk than I had
thought previously. So, I withdraw my previous conclusion :)

DaveE