 Off-Topic / Debate / 9071
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:52:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Jon Kozan wrote:

Are the facts and conclusions credible?

The only thing that is credible, other than perhaps my conclusion that you
have
got to be winding me up about all this, is that "Dr Dino" has been kissing the
blarney stone in a big way. For example, on the "win a great deal of cash"
section, he says:

"Evolution is presented in our public school textbooks as a process that:

"3. Created the life that exists on at least one of those planets from
nonliving  matter (chemical evolution). "

Wrong. No-one claims evolution is responsible for creating life from non-life.
Evolution is cited as the process that happens once life is established.
Interestingly enough, it is precisely this point that one has to prove correct
to win the cash prize - in other words, he is "disproving" evolution by
offering
an incentive to prove that something entirely different from evolution exists.
Pure sophistry.

Gee I can say wrong too! :-)
"Abiogenesis" is not taught in schools as "abiogenesis" - it's called
'evolution' too.  And my other comment still applies - they're all intertwined
- one cannot exist without the other.  If one claims that simple life forms
evolved into higher orders (macro-evolution) on our planet - the traditional
explanation includes abiogenesis as well as cosmological origins.

The basic world-view tension fundamentally exists here:  You either start from
a godless perspective or from a God-perspective.  (Not to deny the
'why-not-both' folks)
But that has consequences all over your perspective on the world and our place
in it. Pick any science or field of study, and that fundamental worldview
influences it.

-Jon