 Off-Topic / Debate / 9001
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

Now, on to your request Dave:

You state that you wish for citations within the "legitimate scientific
community" - I'm fairly sure before proceding any further that you will
debate the following sources to at least some degree based on that
premise - but IMO, the following sources/people DO in fact fit this
criteria (sorry if one of these is the same as Jon mentioned):

(1) http://www.drdino.com
I have personally attended a 2-3 hour presentation by Dr. Kent Hovind as
well as viewed several of his seminar videos.  Before questioning his
credability I urge you to see
http://www.drdino.com/Ministry/DrHovind.jsp

  What I see is that he "completed 60 credit hours toward a major in math
and science", which means that he didn't get a degree.  "He then transferred
to Midwestern Baptist College to double major in Bible and education."
Therefore he abandoned, for whatever reason, his pursuit of a science or
math degree in favor of Bible and education.  I don't criticize his choice,
since it was indeed his choice to make, but to claim some expertise in
"science" (by the way; what kind of science did he study? There's no mention
of specifics) without clarifying his exact field of study is culpably
misleading.  In addition, while his lack of a degree does not itself
preclude some knowledge of science (though he obviously has some
misconceptions), his misleading offering of credentials--plus his
fire-and-brimstone style of brow-beating and insulting those who do not
share his views--makes him seem like a typical pulpit propaganda preacher.
  From my perusal of his website, he doesn't really qualify as part of the
"legitimate scientific community."

   Dave!