 Off-Topic / Debate / 8915
Re: Macro-Evolution - Impossible!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:03:43 GMT

Jon and Bruce are exasperating each other without getting very far, so I
thought I'd go back to the beginning of the thread and look at Jon's
original statements.

I may be falling into his trap, that's OK. I've done it to him before so I
guess it's my turn, maybe. :-) If he's good enough.

Thank you.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
"Remember, the evidence the fossil record gives us is not about *how*
macroevolution happens, merely that it does."   ++Lar

The fossil record as an evidence for macro-evolution has two aspects
which must be considered:

1) Do strata (layers of soil) support a progressive, over millennia, approach
which can reveal the progression of life through time? Or is there a better
explanation (hypothesis) which fits the evidence?

I'd change "layers of soil" to something different here. Many (most?)
fossils are found in sedimentary rock rather than in soil.

I'm not sure what is meant by "progression" here. Racoons aren't necessarily
"better" than small dinosaurs. They're just more suited to conditions here
and now than those dinosaurs would be. But conditions changed. Sometimes
gradually, sometimes abruptly, or so the evidence suggests.

(put aside that I consider myself "better" than the rest of the beasts (and
some humans), it's not relevant.  )

REVISED:
1) Do strata (layers of sediment) support a progressive, over millennia,
approach which reveals the progression (simple forms leading to more
complicated forms) of life through time? Or is there a better explanation
(hypothesis) which fits the evidence?

2) Does the fossil record support macro-evolution as a mechanism
- survival of the fittest, a life-form progression producing
creatures better fit to survive?

What is meant by "support" in this context? The observations don't
contradict predictions from the theory? And why use "survival of the
fittest" here? Again, fitness is within context.

When these caveats are cleared away, I'd tend to go along with these as
reasonable questions.

REVISED:
2) Does the fossil record support (not contradict the predictions of)
macro-evolution as a mechanism - a life-form progression whereby simple forms
of life lead to more complicated forms?

Seems ok to me.  Comments?

-Jon