 Off-Topic / Debate / 9035
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:14:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

What I am trying to say is that those who claim that the Creationist
theory is impossible based on current scientific evidence are wrong.

If this is all you want, no problem. I concede that the creationist beliefs
(as they relate to macroevolution) are not impossible. They are highly
unlikely, unverifiable, and unsupported by the available observations, but I
concede that it is possible that a malicious god could have set things up
(faked the data) to make macroevolution seem likely while actually having
done things completely differently.

Highly unlikely, but possible. Any god who would do that to his creations
isn't worthy of my worship, but I digress. (but since god tortured Job,
according to a literal interpretation of the Bible, on a bet with Satan,
he's already unworthy anyway... but I digress even more)

There have been claims within these discussions made to the effect that
to believe in Creationism is somehow "absurd".

It is no less absurd than using a single lottery ticket as your entire means
of retirement planning, and perhaps a bit more, since the probability is lower,

But not *completely* absurd, as it is *possible* that the single ticket will
hit the big prize... and possible that your malicious god actually did
everything exactly as the bible said (and therefore set everything up to
confuse us). Not probable, but possible.

What I am asking you to
do is tell me why it is absurd - not because YOU THINK that the Bible or
a belief in God or any such is absurd, but why it is absurd
SCIENTIFICALLY.

We have. You (and your pet Dr. Dino) haven't grokked what science is, what
an observation is, what a fact is, what a theory is, so you're not
understanding it. That's your fault, not ours.

I'm not even asking for proof, just show me any scientific evidence that
contradicts the Bible.

The fossil record, my friend, the fossil record. Unless you posit that god
laid that record down to make scientists look foolish. That, I suppose, is
consistent with the rest of the sophistry that fundamentalists employ. But
then, fundamentalists, including you, are not critical thinkers so what do
you expect?

++Lar