 Off-Topic / Debate / 9004
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:56:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

Before questioning his
credability I urge you to see
http://www.drdino.com/Ministry/DrHovind.jsp

What I see is that he "completed 60 credit hours toward a major in math
and science", which means that he didn't get a degree.  "He then transferred
to Midwestern Baptist College to double major in Bible and education."
Therefore he abandoned, for whatever reason, his pursuit of a science or
math degree in favor of Bible and education.  I don't criticize his choice,
since it was indeed his choice to make, but to claim some expertise in
"science" (by the way; what kind of science did he study? There's no mention
of specifics) without clarifying his exact field of study is culpably
misleading.  In addition, while his lack of a degree does not itself
preclude some knowledge of science (though he obviously has some
misconceptions), his misleading offering of credentials--plus his
fire-and-brimstone style of brow-beating and insulting those who do not
share his views--makes him seem like a typical pulpit propaganda preacher.
From my perusal of his website, he doesn't really qualify as part of the
"legitimate scientific community."

Far more important than your perception of his credentials is his facts. Are
they correct? Get past the rhetoric and personal attack - his methods are
probably as distatesful as others on the other side - but that's not the
point.
Get past the guy, and address the issues.

  If you had read Tim's post, rather than leaping to disagree with mine,
you'd have noticed that Tim asked me to consult the page in question before
questioning Dr. Dino's credibility.  I examined the page, as Tim asked, and,
having found found the credentials to be lacking, I questioned Dr. Dino's
credibility.
  For that matter, if you had read *my* post, rather than leaping to
disagree with me, you'd have noticed that I stated outright that a lack of
relevant credentials is *not* summarily enough reason to dismiss his claims.
Beyond that, from what I've read so far, his alleged science is in fact the
same pseudoscience often touted by creationists (and touted in the standard
believe-or-burn style of rhetoric).

     Dave!