 Off-Topic / Debate / 9073
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:01:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Jon Kozan wrote:

Are the facts and conclusions credible?

The only thing that is credible, other than perhaps my conclusion that you
have got to be winding me up about all this, is that "Dr Dino" has been
kissing the blarney stone in a big way. For example, on the "win a great
deal of cash" section, he says:

"Evolution is presented in our public school textbooks as a process that:

1. Brought time, space, and matter into existence from nothing. "

This is not the case. The theory most generally taught for this at school • level is the Big Bang theory, which has nothing to do with Darwin's theory of
evolution.

In your experience, perhaps, but then we're all limited by our own personal
experiences.  Evolution and the theory of origins, and the Big Bang are all
inexorably intertwined. You can certianly deny that, but they are cause and
effect for each other.  Separating them out in a school-kids mind is nigh
impossible.  Do your kids prove otherwise?

Well, I don't have kids of a relevant age, but I can certainly state
definitively that they were clearly seperate and not intertwined when I
learned about them in school - In fact, when I took that kind of stuff, the
Big Bang Theory was only presented as one theory among many, and evolution
(and the theory thereof) was in an entirely different course.  (One was
physics, one was biology).

Evolution is not an effect - it does not require a cause (big bang or
otherwise).  The theory of evolution is entirely independent, and it's
validity (or lack thereof) is independent of how the universe got here.

James

JAems