 Off-Topic / Debate / 9086
Re: Support for Creationism (was Re: Macro-Evolution - "Impossible!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:29:51 GMT

Tim Culberson wrote:

Guy Albertelli wrote:

Schoolbooks due suffer from a variety of errors. This however is not
because Darwinian Evolution is wrong, but rather because the people writing
the books are more interested in selling them then getting their facts
right.

So how can one say that issuing a misleading textbook without pointing
out the BLATANT errors isn't misleading the student?

Sounds like the Bible to me.  Pot - kettle - black.

Kids are generally not good scientists, and can only see things in black
and white. So we give the best start we can along the best guess we have by
presenting it as the TRUTH, and hope that they will also devlop some
critical thinking skills along the way so can accept new good data, reject
bad data, and be able to create new hypotheses, and test them on their own.

So then you wouldn't have a problem if I were teaching your child to
issue a Bible to each student in my class and teach them about Creation
from the Genesis record?

In the US?  Damned straight I would - Separation of Church and State, remember?
Now, if it were a PRIVATE school, more power to you.  But if a public school that
gets MY tax money, that Bible had better stay out of it.

I'll give them the best start I can along with
the best guess I have by presenting it as the TRUTH, and hope that they
will also develop some critical thinking skills along the way so they
can accept new good data, reject bad data, and be able to create new
hypotheses, and test them on their own.

You should follow your own ideals - how you could possibly believe the Earth is
6K years old after using the above skills, I can't imagine.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/