 Off-Topic / Debate / 8991
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:23:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

Tom Stangl wrote:

Who created the creator?

Here we come to what is seemingly an impossible thing to answer:
HOWEVER:
If you are already in a position where you say you believe the Bible the
answer is simple - the Bible clearly states that God always was, is, and
always will be

OK. So in the system you accept as a true, revealed system, your god exists
forever and created the universe, but himself doesn't need a creator.

In the one I accept as likely based on the evidence and observations so far
(note the difference, my son...), the universe itself exists forever and
doesn't need a creator.

If you fault my system for not explaining the origin of the universe, why
then, I fault yours for not explaining the origin of your god. No better no
worse, explanation wise. A draw.

But my system is one layer (of regression) simpler. And therefore more
likely to be true by one metric of system evaluation. Mind you, not that the
other one is ruled out on this basis, just that by the Occam's Razor metric,
it is somewhat less likely since it's a more complex explanation of the same
observation.

No big revelation, that. It's elementary creation theory refutation. Been
around for years.

Let's stick to the creationist refutation of speciation and macroevolution,
it at least has the potential for not being quite as plowed ground.

Me, though, I'll be waiting for this macroevolution refutation to be
published in Nature, win a Nobel prize of some sort, make it into some
refereed journal, something like that, before I'll give it much credence,
since it doesn't fit the observations. I won't be holding my breath, though.
Literal creationism is a terrible predictor of anything observable.