 Off-Topic / Debate / 9063
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:17:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I happen to be a member of a religion which is a "sect" of
Christianity, but I doubt you would accept our interpretation of the
bible (especially since we honor Darwin and his ideas, and are proud
that he was a member of our branch of Christianity). To be honest, as
far as I'm concerned, unless you were one of Jesus's desciples (and
somehow, I don't think any of them are alive today), I reject any claim
you might have to the "truth" of Christianity. I might grant you a small
claim to "truth" if you are Catholic since there was a time when
Catholics were essentially the only game in the Christian town, but even
there I dispute since there is no unbroken chain of Christian
understanding. There was no (sucessefull) attempt to come up with single
answers to some basic questions until the Council of Nicea in 350 CE
(and my cynical self would point out that the answers which came out of
that council were VOTED on by a bunch of humans, of course I guess the
counter argument would be that only those who voted for the right
answers [the ones which won] really had opened themselves fully to
understanding [as well as a human can] god, and the rest were lost
souls, but this gets back to David's question - how do you decide that
the majority was in fact right? Is there any credible evidence of God's
guidance? How do you know your view of the bible is right and mine is
flawed in some way?).

How do I know your interpretation of the Bible is flawed?
I'd really like to answer that...
What is your interpretation?  Or are you just using hyperbole to imply that you
and Darwin are both evolutionists?
Please elaborate.

-Jon