 Off-Topic / Debate / 9052
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:08:30 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

Do you believe in Quazmon? Would you dispute the truth that Quazmon is the
one true God, even though you don't like him (I'm guessing)? Or doesn't it
just kinda go against your judgement as to what God could or should be? My
point is that there's NO PROOF. There's evidence (almost ALWAYS if not
always) in personal form, but NONE in physical form-- but at some level it
comes down to how much you trust your judgement to choose the right thing.
And your logic and experience tell you that Quazmon is NOT right in some
way. And MY logic and experience tell me that the example of God I gave,
which is what I think Jon was arguing for, also isn't right in some way.

I argue first and foremost that the Creation we see all around us is
evidence of God's existence (as is mentioned in the Bible).  I also
argue that scientific evidence supports the Creation theory.  Of course
there's no proof, then there would be no need for faith.  After that the
greatest physical form of evidence is the Bible itself. You are making a
blatantly false statement by saying "There's evidence...but NONE in
physical form".  Beyond my personal judgement I look at the vast number
of other people who also have executed personal judgement and realized
the truth of the Bible.

Who gave you the right to disrespect Quazmon? (I'm assuming you do, but I
think that's a safe assumption)

To continue my above statement....I have NO _proof_ OR _evidence_ of
Quazmon.

From my own personal judgement-- and I would argue that you did the same,
and concluded in agreeance with Christianity. I don't. And as soon as you
can prove that my judgement is faulty, let me know. Meanwhile, because I'm
unable to show the same for you, I'm content to say that neither of us is
'really' right, but that we're only right for ourselves.

I believe that is what you call circular reasoning. "I judge what God
should be like from which I can logically deduce that God has in fact
decided that is what he'll be like"

Ah, so your argument is that NOBODY is CAPABLE in believing in a different
KIND of God? That it is ONLY a matter of whether you believe in the
Christian God or not? Or are you equating the beliefs in all other Gods with
the non-belief of the Christian God?

That is indubitably what I would argue.  I believe humans have only two
choices - believe in God (as defined biblically) or reject God (as
defined biblically).

IF
you don't believe then than you can think whatever you want.

Ok, I don't believe in YOUR version of God. Am I off the hook? Will you let
me go around saying that I'm not wrong to say so? Will you go around saying
that I AM wrong to say so or that I'm ONLY right to agree with you? If
you'll allow for yourself to be wrong, just as I allow for my own error,
then fine, I don't have any further quarrel with you.

It's not whether I think you're right or wrong, it's whether the Bible
says you're right or wrong - in which case it is clear that your
unbelief is wrong.

--
-TiM
NB, CA