 Off-Topic / Debate / 9365
Re: Was T-Rex a herbivourous animal?(was: Re: Why not Both?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:07:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Arnold Staniczek writes:
Just because an animal is
big doesn't mean it's scary mean and ferocious.

Just because a certain species of primates shows a significant enlargement of brain doesn't mean it always uses it:

   It's not the grey matter, it's how the grey matter is wired.  The
   last study I've seen (admittedly only in the mainstream) suggests
   that it's the brain's ability to cool and warm itself--e.g., the
   blood flow--that determines a species's (boy, that word looks funny
   possessivized) cognitive ability compared to others of its species.
   Between species, it's only one of many factors.

   But yeah, I get your point.  ;)

There is in fact
evidence that shows Trex might not have been such blood-starved monster
anyhow.  Their legs and posture don't lend to very fast or agile
movement,

As long as they can match in speed with their victims it's no problem -
or do you want to tell me that the giant sauropods were very fast?

   Now that we're fairly certain they were endotherms in general--
   and tyrannosaurs and brachiosaurs were certainly bulk endotherms
   at least--we can make some general statements regarding their
   behaviour.

   Have you ever made a hippo angry?  They sure don't look fast,
   but they're *fast*.  The mistake's been made by many a Kenyan
   safari tourist, and the result is that hippo deaths outnumber
   deaths by all other animal causes in Kenya and Tanzania.  Looking
   and being are two very different things.

   Now, if you take the birdlike construction (yes, that's right,
   birdlike!) of T. Rex, you get an animal that's well-balanced,
   topped by an enormous and well-articulated head, and standing
   directly atop two gigantic kinetic-energy storage devices that
   we quaintly call legs.  If one can extrapolate from the large
   carnosaur tracks found, an estimate of 70kph is not unreasonable
   for short periods.  We definitely know that sauropods could
   gallop.  I don't know how old the T. Rex sketches are that he's
   working from, or if the "prey" he imagines are the Mantell
   Iguanodons from 1820 (with the thumb spike on the nose...priceless!),
   but the work I've seen shows a creature both fast and deadly.

   Of course that hasn't stopped many palaeontologists from
   wondering if they were huge carrion-eaters...but why?  Nothing
   that relative size today eats carrion, it's smaller and weaker
   animals.

their teeth weren't rooted well for tearing apart animals,

Sauropsids generally don't have rooted teeth. So what? Are teeth of crocodiles rooted? No.
Do crocodiles feed on flowers?

   Well, Wally Gator doesn't eat other cartoon animals, so maybe.

   Re: the teeth being rooted, see the crocodile note below.  When
   you get perhaps 50 sets of teeth in a lifetime, losing one is no
   big deal.

their front legs were tiny and weak, which doesn't lend itself gripping
things well.

Do crocodiles need to grip things well? Do wolves strangle deer?

   The head does all the gripping needed.  To crack the crest of a
   ceratopsian or flip an ankylosaur, that head is vital.

Adult dinosaurs that are supposedly meat eaters have also
been found with extremely little teeth wear compared to what it should
be.

Do you have an authoritative source for these assumptions?  What
kind of dinosaurs are you talking about?

   I'd like to know that as well.  Besides, modern crocodiles--the
   closest living toothed relatives of dinosaurs, and the only living
   archosaur that isn't feathered--have only 60 teeth at one time, but
   can have over 3,000 in a lifetime.  They don't have a single deciduous
   dentition like we do.  Therefore it's not possible to make judgements
   on tooth wear when we don't know--can't know--how often extinct
   animals shed their teeth.  But the evidence suggests that shedding
   was done in carnosaurs--loose teeth found in strata, in the bones
   (occasionally embedded in them!) of other animals, et cetera.

These 20
scientists (and obviously, this is just a sampling) don't agree with
your infinite wisdom:

http://www.icr.org/creationscientists.html

If there's a hell they will burn in it for sure. This is my firm belief.

   20 out of a "supposed" thousands?  And not one a palaeo-anything?
   I noticed that 95% of the 20 are male, and 95% of European descent.[1]
   (In the "ICR Faculty" subset, those numbers go up to 100%.) Granted,
   SWEMs are overrepresented at most institutions, but this is a bit
   much!  Also interesting is that their publications have nothing
   to do with evolution or processes of earth formation (the mantle-
   convection guy comes closest).  Creationists can still do science;
   the blinders aren't necessarily universal, and some of these folks
   are intelligent and well-spoken but misinformed (or wilfully
   ignorant).  I don't doubt that Hank Morris (founder of ICR) and
   his son John (current President of ICR...hmmm) are competent in
   their fields--but just as I don't want a Doctor of English Literature
   taking out my appendix, I don't see how a hydraulics engineer has
   any purchase on Evolution, especially when he gets the Second Law
   of Thermodynamics wrong on such a regular basis.  20 isn't thousands,
   and the very fact that a page of this nature is necessary ought
   to tell critical thinkers they're being sold a bill of goods by the
   ICR/CRS.

   There's some irony, by the way, in the "thousands" unverifiable
   reference and the suggestion that the movement is somehow growing.
   You see, for all their hate of Godless communism, they've borrowed
   one of Lenin's greatest tactics, the premature declaration.  In
   1917, with the Provisional Government in place, the Communists
   were only a small (but vocal) minority.  Lenin and Trotsky came up
   with the simple yet brilliant idea to call themselves "Bolsheviks"--
   the Majority Party--and label the actual majority the "Mensheviks",
   or Minority Party.  It stuck, and within six months, the Bolsheviks
   *were* the Majority Party.  We all know (or ought to!) what happened
   over the next 74 years.

   Scientists as a rule have ignored creationists and allowed them
   to spout pseudoscience in the conviction that thinking people would
   make a choice based on the evidence.  Unfortunately, not challenging
   Creationists has caused them to go on the attack, declaring that it
   is a conspiracy of silence by "them" and that it must prove, somehow,
   that they're on to something--and before too long, otherwise rational
   people begin to sway under unanswered Creationist propaganda.  Science
   has dealt with pseudoscience by ignoring it before, but they've never
   encountered it conflated with this kind of religious siege mentality
   that only grows stronger unless confronted and bombarded with reason.

   best

   LFB

   [1] No overlap though, so that's a plus.