 Off-Topic / Debate / 8980
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:12:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
The Bible,
however, does not claim to re-interpret itself.  It's the "God is infinite"
point again - He doesn't need to since He was accurate in the first place.

And therein lies a problem for me, but only because the Bible doesn't answer
all my questions to my satisfaction. And my personal judgement does. And
since I find my personal judgement in conflict with the Bible, well, sorry,
one of 'em's gotta go.

Unfortuantely, our nihilistic, relative society has convinced itself that
there is nothing sure, that all is relative.  That bias has blinded many to
the fact that there is a God who is sure and absolute, and whom we can trust
absolutely.

While you may find that a failing, I find that a reassurance. Don't ask me
why, it's just more comforting to me to know that there are no absolutes.
But of course my question to you then is (obviously) Why are you so sure in
the Bible? What gives you the confidence in it apart from some other
'sacred' book, save personal preferance? And if only personal preference,
then out of what? Pride? Fear? Or bad experience? Something else? I'll put
my money on 'pride' (though for both you and I, I don't think I'd name it as
'pride' per se, but it's subject to interpretation :)

2 things in particular come to mind.
1) personal relationship with God - difficult to explain. Outwardly could
appear to be similar to your beliefs. Although there's more historical basis
for mine... I also have the evidence of my life and others' whom He has
changed.

2) Logic / reason
a) the logic of the failings of man's interpretation of the universe -
evolution et al...
b) the logic of the witness of the man Jesus who claimed to be God and thus was
either God or crazy - but nothing of His life supports madness

-Jon