 Off-Topic / Debate / 8944
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:15:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
I see from the below that we have a difference on debate styles and
definitions
Ok.
I believe that when I present scientific evidence I'm arguing scientifically.
If I don't, then I'm not. That simple.

Anything else is philosphical. (by my definition)

Ok, so the reason:

"it misses the scientific evidence for creation that is indeed
consistant with the Biblical account - a literal 7-day creation."

is a philosophical rebuttal because it doesn't specify WHAT evidence? I
disagree because it's got a founding IN evidence. If we explore that reason
more deeply, we get to the "what evidence" part. Hence, it's not purely
philosophical. In fact, I think it's a logical and scientific conclusion to
make.

Basically, I'd argue that a philosophical argument is that which is just so.
Entirely philosophical, and not based on physical evidence, but on
metaphysical evidence. Hence logic, emotion, thought, etc. The moment you
bring the physically tangible into it, it's no longer philosophy. In fact, I
would probably argue (actually, I just DID in my last series of posts) argue
that science has it's foundation in philosophy and the metaphysical. Hence,
to argue something on a philosophical level is to go BENEATH the physical
layers and get to the point at which all that's left is the theoretical.
Once the physical has been exposed, it's a new argument.

DaveE