 Off-Topic / Debate / 9351
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:23:28 GMT

This reply is brought about by Dave's direct request:

Here's an example. Every living thing on Earth has DNA which works in pretty
much the same way. From the way the DNA is structured we can infer
relationships between all living things. To my mind, the evidence supports
the theory that there was a single common ancestor to all life on earth,
including the bacteria, protozoa, fungi, plants and animals, the last
including humans. If a living thing was discovered that had different system
(call it XNA), or it was shown that humans were qualitatively different from
chimpanzees, that discovery would cause me to radically rethink my theory.

Two questions:
1. How do you explain the similarity of the DNA of all living things?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c018.html  (sorry to keep
using and defending this source because you all hate it so much - but it
is the best online one that I know...if you're immediately plannng on
saying "that source isn't reliable - as you have said multiple other
times, then I can't help you.  I could have retyped the entire thing and
not given credit to the original author - A SCIENTIST BY MOST STANDARDS
I WOULD THINK: Dr. Don Batten, Ph.D)

2. What evidence would cause you to look for another explanation?

This question is rather meaningless.  Why look for evidence in the first
place?  I'm not the one who has been throwing around statements like:

"You've hit on a key strength of science, though; the ability to reject
and
learn from past errors creates an ever stronger method of explanation,
which
is the fundamental goal of scientific pursuit."

(btw I don't have any problems with this particular statement - I think
it's a good point - but it kind of answers your own above question)

--
-TiM
NB, CA