 Off-Topic / Debate / 9117
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:54:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
But I have to admit I'm baffled. Christians who defend literal creationism
as scientifically plausible (more probable than alternative explanations)
seem to be in a small minority. Members of splinter sects, even. Most
christians instead say that god, creation, and everything are fundamentally
unexplainable and that we should take things on faith.

(just picking a nit)

I disagree... in my experience most christians only hold that God is
fundamentally unexplainable.  Creation and everything are currently
unexplained, and may well be unexplainable, but that's not going to stop us
from trying. :)

Point taken but to continue splitting this particular hair, I agree with
"everything" but not "creation" except inasmuch as the explanation is "god
created (the starting point of) the universe", which is fine, since it's no
better or worse an explanation than scientific theories have offered except
for the extra level of regress.

That is, many christians agree with the apparent age of the earth, with
natural processes doing a lot of things, etc. and see the laws/constants of
the universe themselves as something that god set up.

I've read SF in which every alternate universe has slightly different
fundamental constants. Brin has a great story, "the Practice Effect" on that
line...

++Lar