 Off-Topic / Debate / 8935
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:09:14 GMT

The reason you were given is BASED on the scientific-- NOT the
philosophical. Why say He did it differently than the Bible seems to say?
Because what the Bible says doesn't mesh with science.

  In addition, your phrasing answers the very question you pose:  "seems to
say" explicitly points out the interpretability of the text.  Who determines
what the book "seems to say"?  The natural world "seems to say" that
evolution took place, but look at the discussion that's taken place.  For
that matter, even if you say "the natural world doesn't seem to say
evolution took place," you're only proving my point that interpretability
makes a big difference.

Hence, the question becomes can we re-interpret the Bible to be in accordance
with evolution? The question assumes already that we're accepting the
scientific principle already as valid.

  It is the most valid and, as Bruce, DaveL, and I have repeatedly pointed
out, the most complete means of arriving at explanations of how the natural
world works.  Now, that leaves the question of whether we accept the bible
as valid... (though I agree that in my hypothetical model I was assuming it
to be so).

     Dave!