 Off-Topic / Debate / 8943
Re: Why not Both?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:06:28 GMT

In addition, your phrasing answers the very question you pose:  "seems to
say" explicitly points out the interpretability of the text.  Who determines
what the book "seems to say"?

Yes, I admit I changed the wording of that sentence after re-reading it, and
I must point out that this is important. If the Bible says "day", do we
necessarily know the definition of the word "day"? After all, the Jewish day
is measured from sunset to sunset. And assuming you travel westward (or
eastward) at a ridiculous speed (or really ANY speed), wouldn't a day be
longer? Or is a day the amount of time the Earth takes to spin around once?
And with respect to what? Newtonian space? The sun? Anyway, just driving the
point home a little more...

It is the most valid and, as Bruce, DaveL, and I have repeatedly pointed
out, the most complete means of arriving at explanations of how the natural
world works.  Now, that leaves the question of whether we accept the bible
as valid... (though I agree that in my hypothetical model I was assuming it
to be so).

As I said, I think, the closest science has come is to say that the Bible
isn't INvalid. We can't disprove it, if only because interpratability won't
let us. Maybe God was a Lawyer :) [gosh, that'd be rather ironic... don'tcha
think?]

DaveE