 Off-Topic / Debate / 16160
Re: Scariness (was Re: Conflict in the Middle East)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
The only way for a true peace to become a reality in the Middle East is for
one side or the other to achieve a complete military victory.  Appeasement
got us where we are … victory can bring peace.

People that prize peace do not express themselves in terms of "complete
military victory."  And you think I make scarey comments?

I was tempted to reply to James with "this is one of the scariest, most
disturbing posts I've ever read on LUGNET."... but I thought I had better
not! ;)

Scott A

Maybe because what James said happens to be true-- you need to think about
history to appreciate its wisdom.

Perhaps you could explain this a little more so that the "wisdom" may be
appreciated?

I said *think* about it.  Think of major conflicts and how they were eventually
resolved.

I will go on record as to saying that Richard's post in question was probably
the most disturbing I've ever read in this forum as well.

Perhaps you could explain (as I think nobody else has despite requests) why it
is so disturbing?

Well, it's pretty self-evident IMO.  If you don't realize it right away, I doubt
any amount of explanation would help you understand anyway.

-John

And since this topic/discussion/issue is so convoluted to begin with, *not*
clarifying what a person meant will really help the situation.

True understanding comes with discourse, thru talking about it, with
listening to other people's POV.

Forget about how thick-skulled you think someone else is--lay out what your
view is in as precise detail as you possibly can, clarify your meaning when
someone says 'I didn't get that', even if they could be sarcastic.  Tell the
truth as you see it.  They might not accept it but at least your truth is
where it has to be--out there for people to see--not held back because you
question the lack of wisdom/thick headedness of a fellow person.  I don't
get what people mean anymore--with all the repies and snips, it's really
tough in this particular thread to know who said what and when.  That's the
scary bit!

Something that is self-evident to you may not be so apparent to others--I
belive in God.  When I look around my world it's so apparent that God
exists.  Tell that to others, though.  I'm not going to hit them over the
head and say, 'You *must* believe what I believe, you *have to* love the god
I love in order to be saved!', but neither am I going to shut up about my
love and appreciation for my God.  You can take it or leave it, but at least
I mentioned *my* truth.  Now you mention yours.  Either we're going to have
a continuing dialogue which should be done in a manner which is edifying to
the other POV, as well as build our understanding of both sides, or we just
say, 'that's your world and this is mine.  As long as we don't punch each
other in the nose when we're swinging our arms, then we're okay!'

Say what you mean, or you'll never mean what you say. (who said that
originally?)

Dave