 Off-Topic / Debate / 16115
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:13:56 GMT

If, however, your culture, from the moment you are born, teaches you to
hate, teaches you that the ultimate sacrifice you can do for your country is
to die in service of it, teaches you that if you die gloriously that you
will get '7 virgins and a mansion' (whatever) in the afterlife, do you
really think that these suicide bombers think what they're doing is a last
ditch effort, a worst case scenario?

What exactly are these warriors promised from the afterlife?  How is their
belief about the ultimate sacrifice different than our own?  Many Americans
have made suicidal attacks "in the line of honor."  How and why is it
different?

I think that animals have a built in drive for self preservation and only deep
emotional situations can overcome it.  People are only willing to die for
causes that they feel are very right.

When these folks feel like they have an
option, they will choose another path.  No one wants to die.

I don't want to die.  I *will* pick up a gun and defend my country, my
beliefs, though.  I will not knowingly kill 'innocents' (don't get into
semantics about who's innocent and who isn't).  These bombers are walking
into restaurants and blowing up women, kids, houses and villages all in the
name of their god, their teachings and their hatred for their enemy (and
getting the women in the afterlife).  It has nothing to do with having their
collective backs against the wall.

As long as can continue to fool ourselves into demonizing others, we won't have
the empathy to build a peace.

You tell me not to discuss innocence, but that may be at the crux of this
issue.  The innocent do not fund terrorist regimes to keep their neighbors in
poverty.  Many of us would do the same if faced with equally bleak prospects.
Who would we not kill to reach freedom?

They have options and the leaders *know* it.  Why do you think you never
hear about the rulers of these factions/countries/whatever strapping bombs
to themselves and walking into buildings?  Why do you never hear the leaders
really denouncing these acts as terrorist attacks and trying to stop them?

They who, and which leaders?  There are no Palestinian leaders.  Why don't we
hear Israeli or western leaders calling the acts of both sides wicked?  The
"leaders" don't denounce it because they understand it's the right way to wage
their campaign (though, I think this statement implies more organization than
exists).

That's why I mentioned earlier that someone, at sometime, just has to say
'this ends here in this generation'  It'll take a strong resolve to do it
but it *can* be done.  Yes things happened in the far past and the
not-so-far past that could be deemed acts that require a response.  But it
can stop.  'We're not going to kill, today (forgive the quote and get over
where it came from)'.  It's a different path, a better solution and it
requires less killing.

The leaders don't *want* to do it.  That's the rub.

The people don't want to do it.  Everyone could get together and live in peace.
I agree.  But Saying so and leaving at that is kind of silly.  That's not what
is going to happen.  As long as groups (or individuals) wrong one another there
will be retribution.  People want what it right for themselves.

Chris