 Off-Topic / Debate / 16043
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:15:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Now is the time for the American authorities to give a crystal clear
message to the Israeli authorities that the violence and the occupation
must end.  I think that is the only short term solution for the conflict
right now.

  Just to start the flamethrowers:

  I don't think this White House is going to do that.  It would jeopardize
  their rhetorical position, which wants so desperately to be black-and-
  white about states vs. terrorism that they can't see how grey the scale
  really is.  Frankly, the only person with the balls to do that would be
  Powell, and he's severely outnumbered by the hawks who are firmly behind
  the Israelis.  And yes, I still think Bush is an idiot.

  I agree with your reading, Fredrik.  The money needs to stop flowing.
  The settlers' expansion must end.  But Bush can't possibly concede those
  things without losing his rhetorical position, Sharon couldn't accept it
  without forfeiting his life, and so forth.  This is an excellent moment
  for the EU as a unit to break from the US line and send a powerful message
  *itself* that the world isn't an American plaything.  This is one moment
  for which I'm convinced Gore would have been a better chief executive.
  But somehow I don't think the EU could agree on what to do--its federal
  organs are still too weak.

  Frankly, I'm becoming more and more convinced that only mainland China
  has little enough invested in the conflict or the alliances therein to
  serve as an arbiter (they're annoyed with both Islam and the US circle).
  But the catch is that they don't *want* to, and in that, they're smart.

  Just my two cents.

If those were two euro-cents, it would have been me saying it. ;-)
I share this oppinion entirely - especially what you say regarding the
Chinese stand, I think that is a pretty clever reading of the situation (but
then again, China has historically been isolationist outside the immediate
east asian context).

Pedro