 Off-Topic / Debate / 16089
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:41:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Afghanistan has a some chance of being a success story because we did
win a decisive and complete victory (well, ok, so there's a few elements
still bouncing around, but they have little support).

It certainly was "decisive" for the 5,000 - 8,000 civilians killed to keep
the US body-bag-count low. You may consider it a "victory", but which of the
war aims have been met?

The US took control of a route to Central Asian Oil and Gas fields that does
not pass through Russia nor Iran? Particularly interesting, when we know
Bush has personal interests in this sector.

Pedro