 Off-Topic / Debate / 16052
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:46:39 GMT

No one is innocent.

This is why I wonder if there is any solution possible at all in any of
these situations. I think about these situations, and look at why we
don't have them in the US, and the only conclusion I come to is that we
don't see these problems in the US because we essentially wiped out the
natives.

Right.  And even the surviving few do not have the means or case law to
support their struggle.

We are SO proud, aren't we...?

-- Hop-Frog

yeah, it's not a situation that can be remedied by sound bites and bandaids..
To add a separate thread of debate -- one thing that has been bothering me
as of late is the 'restitution for atrocities that happened in the past'

It was wrong for the
europeans to 'walk thru' the americas and kill/displace the natives
canadians to intern the japanese canadians in alberta during the war
nazis to do what they did during the war
there's such a list of past atrocities that no one is left without blood on
their hands.

there has to come a time when we, as a collective people, just say, 'yes
that was wrong, and we don't want it to happen again, but we, *today*, are
not responsible for these past atrocities--our forefathers were.'

i'm sick of being made to feel guilty for something i wasn't part of, since
it occured well before i was even born.

'cause if you want to hold people accountable for their forefathers actions,
lets jump right back to cain and abel, and all us who came from abel *1
should hold accountable all of you who came from cain for abel's murder.

*1 i'm really not definitly sure that i am few generations removed from
abel, but since i'm such a nice guy, i just assumed ;)

so this would relate a bit to issues in the middle east, ireland, whatever
-- get over what happened in the past.  it does not offer a valid reason to
commit attrocities now, it only offers an excuse -- 'your father killed my
father, prepare to die.'

i want to help resolve the issues we face today.  the past happened, learn
from it, put it in the realm of academia, or get over it.  committing
heinous acts is wrong.  committing heinous acts for something that happened
in the past, before you were born, is outright insanity.

anyway, throwing it out there, and jumping into the forray with both eyes open.

i *am* proud to be Canadian, even tho we have our own past and present issues.