 Off-Topic / Debate / 16100
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:35:38 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> writes:

I have not read his speech in detail yet, but I must admit I was
impressed with some of what he had to say. Particularly his mention
of pre-1967 borders.

I like the direction of Bush's statements.  Bush's has earlier
expressed an attitude of understandment towards the Israeli military
actions, which appears to have gone by now.

Bush's statements may be a result of his need for continued Arab
support for his "war on terror" programme.  It may also be related to
the fear of an Arab oil production cut.  An oil production cut now
would significantly increase the oil price, severly damagaing the
world economy.

But it does not appear that his speech has had too much effect on the
situation so far.

Fredrik