 Off-Topic / Debate / 16033
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:01:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Now is the time for the American authorities to give a crystal clear
message to the Israeli authorities that the violence and the occupation
must end.  I think that is the only short term solution for the conflict
right now.

not to get into the whole "occupation" thing now,

But that is the very nub of this problem. Until Israel, and its apologists,
realise that, there can be no hope of peace. Israel has done nothing but
stall for time to gain a foothold in the various occupied territories - and
that goes right back to its war of independence. It has never had any
respect for the borders or rights of neighbouring states. Even in its
declaration of independence it made no mention of its own borders - a fact
that strikes me as odd.

but what do you suggest
Israel do?  Just sit back while it's citizens are killed?  I don't have a
solution either, but going into the territories and taking away the illegal
weapons the PA has gathered makes a lot of sense to me.

If we assume he wants to, I fail to see how Arafat can have any control over
hotheads when Sharon is systematically destroying the PA infrastructure and
isolating its "leadership". Sharon is a violent man who started the current
situation and who has been murdering civilians for 50 years - he has little
interest in peace. Arafat is not a great deal better. Both sides need to
give consideration to the Saudi peace-plan. Although it is a great injustice
to the Palestinian people, I expect it is the best they (or the Israelis)
will get.

Scott A

Dan