 Off-Topic / Debate / 16034
Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:21:05 GMT

Most of the things we read in print are either journalism or text-books.  The
former rarely provides more than does broadcast journalism (IMHO).

I find myself disagreeing with that. I have little experience of US printed
journalism, but I find the broadcast journalism to be nothing more than
"infotainment". It my be a cultural thing(?).

But reading does provide one other important thing (as implied in some of the
earlier posts): communication skills.

Interestingly, I read a quote from "Stupid White Men ...and Other Sorry
Excuses for the State of the Nation!" by Michael Moore. This suggested that
the average American reads only 99 hours per year. I thought this rather
low, so a searched the web and it appears correct - the average American
reads only one book per YEAR. I have no idea if this low on the
"international league of readers(tm)" - but it does strike me as a very low
level of attainment(?).

For starters, - I read 2-3 books per DAY(1)

Scott A

(1) To my 3-year old ;)