 General / 36133
Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:51:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ben Ellermann writes:
I think the affected old-style verbiage employed by Pyle is a turn-off for many
kids.  My son won't read him even though he's interested in the subjects.

I agree with you.  I remember struggling with it in the beginning as a ten
year old.  However, the accomplishment of figuring out how to read the
stories was great.  The stories themselves were excellent.

I discovered Howard Pyle's story of Robin Hood in a special collection of
books where they used the space on the sides of the pages to explain some of
the terminology and language usage while you read it.  It was part of a set
or collection of books and I never knew if any of his other stories were
also printed that way.  I only know that it helped tremendously with
understanding the speech and enjoying the stories.  I've been a Pyle fan
ever since.  I especially like his pirate stories.  I wish they would
reissure stories like that for kids.  I think more of them would get
interested in them if they had some help.  That's just my two cents worth...
Tom
-snip-
Ben