 General / 36100
  If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

Here's a question - for no special reason but fun: If you could leave -any- book on Kjeld's nightstand for him to read tonight, what would it be? (Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen is owner/head of The LEGO Company) -Suz [sorry for admin ID on this, please (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego) !

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Any Lego catalogue in the range ~1980-1996. ;) Scott A =+= Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet? (URL) reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself. (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Hmmm... Any Star Trek book thats good? Maybe get him to uh... approach Paramount Studios? *wink wink* Rick "since Final Fantasy aint books..." (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Scott, Good Call... Benjamin Medinets (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) <set:6000 6000 LEGOLAND Idea Book> Jude (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

----- Original Message ----- From: "LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com> (...) tonight, (...) Hmmm. How about the "Ultimate Lego Book." Annotated in the margins by AFOL's of course. e.g. [hand drawn arrow pointing to picture] 1,000 Light Blue such and (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

I would leave the 1980 European Train catalog on Kjeld's nightstand. (URL) would be open to page 13. (URL) My parents brought this catalog home from a trip to Europe. Unfortunately, they did not bring any train sets home. I paged through that (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Guild of Bricksmiths(tm) combined catalog. Once it gets created, that is. (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

"Suz" <suz@lugnet.com> skrev i meddelandet news:Gt0srM.Hy6@lugnet.com... (...) tonight, (...) I'd put my old ideabook there. Then he could look at the 'town' page, where he is playing with some other children, and try to remember being a child... (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

How bout something by Umberto Eco. Kjeld's gonna need a real book to read after he sifts through the dozens of LEGO catalogs you guys have put on his nightstand ;-) -Jon -- | The Galactic Shipyard - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) Attack of the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I guess I was thinking along the lines of, Steven Levy's "Insanely Great" because I wish Kjeld were the Steve Jobs of toys. But perhaps he'd re-read that other little book... "Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas" by Seymour (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) _The Timeless Way of Building_ by Christopher Alexander (URL)I guess I was thinking along the lines of, (...) Yes! It would be way cool if they hired Jobs to captain the ship. [snip] (...) Yeah! But if you go looking for it today (and you can (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) There were some Busytown 'construction' toys - they had thick (like 1/4") pasteboard building walls. There were baseplates with slotted grids that you would stick the walls into, and then plastic roof pieces to go on top. Lots of one-piece (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) "The Name of the Rose" might be a good choice. The environment might inspire him to do some cool castle sets... ;-) Oh, wait... I guess you suggested this in order to divert him from LEGO!... :-D Pedro (Just finished reading More's "Utopia" - (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Any? I'd leave -Days of War, Nights of Love- written by the folks at CrimethInc. (www.crimethinc.com) an American group of individuals commited to the transformation of our society from one of misery and alienation to one of love and (...) (22 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Interesting way to start a conversation. I like it. :) (...) Andy, this was exactly my first thought as well. I LOVE reading this book. I love looking at the pics, and getting a *partial* glimpse into the history of the company. (...) Exactly. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I would leave children's books: "The Story of King Arthur and His Knights" by Howard Pyle "The Story of Sir Lancelot and His Companions" by Howard Pyle "The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur" by Howard Pyle "Treasure Island" by (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I think the affected old-style verbiage employed by Pyle is a turn-off for many kids. My son won't read him even though he's interested in the subjects. (...) How so? Chris (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) they are wayyy...yyy beter than those computer games Jeremy (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) they are wayyy...yyy beter than those computer games Jeremy (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I agree with you. I remember struggling with it in the beginning as a ten year old. However, the accomplishment of figuring out how to read the stories was great. The stories themselves were excellent. (...) I believe that reading is important (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) You took the words right out of my mouth! Though I'd probably give him A Pattern Language... that book makes me want to build whole countrysides out of Lego :-) Kevin ---...--- TOWN Lego Building contest! (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Ah, I smite you'th thou dragon! And thy flame be blight of thouest dark knight, as I raiseth my wrods and plunge it'th... Man, I can't even go through these books without a dictionary (just kidding) Those books aren't that bad, though. After (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Chris.... you're joking. Right? I would extend this statement to say that reading is not only important for developing minds, but for all minds regardless of age. I personally find that people who don't enjoy reading (and therefore don't do it (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I discovered Howard Pyle's story of Robin Hood in a special collection of books where they used the space on the sides of the pages to explain some of the terminology and language usage while you read it. It was part of a set or collection of (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Or, perhaps.... "Steve Jobs: The Journey is the Reward" by Jeffrey S. Young. But then I also wish Steve Jobs was in charge at LEGO. :) (...) Or in the case of LEGO.... "101 Quality Toys You Used to Make" History is a wonderful teacher. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) find (...) thick (...) That is a shame. What a wonderful book; I hope I still have my copy somewhere. My favorite story is the when the baker puts in way too much yeast and the oven explodes. Also liked the story about the farmer who grows the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I would leave the 'Geography of Nowhere' (or the sequel 'Home from Nowhere') by James Howard Kunstler. These two books discuss what is not quite right about modern urban planning and architecture in a funny and enlightening way. Fascinating (...) (22 years ago, 19-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

Absolutely the best castle book ever, for kids or grown-ups: Castle, David MacAulay (URL) Croke Proprietor, Lugged Mountain Outfitters (URL) Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:Gt2ozz.6tv@lugnet.com... (...) many (...) (22 years ago, 25-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

Hi all, First, thanks Suz for the great thread idea and sorry for pointing it away from the main point. Second, I'm replying to myself because I thought it would be the lowest-impact way to respond to a bunch of comments. Third, I'm leaving .general (...) (22 years ago, 25-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

Hm...well, first, with all those books, he'd need a second table. I suggest: First, to make a second table...I'd take two 3303 tubs and stack them on top of each other (hint hint). Then, use the top of the tub as a stand to place one of my old (...) (22 years ago, 25-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) I'd go with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Not only is it a great book, but also might prompt more castle creations. Perhaps if he'd read this years ago we'd have a Lego Lord of the Rings line rather than that Intelliblox brick/action figure (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I still don't see that it diminishes the importance of reading. :) (...) So you're saying you agree, because you've seen this as a person..... but you disagree because there is no academic proof? :) If you studied education at a university (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...

(...) Although I'm not much of a Tolkien fan, and not much of a castle fan, I still have to second this suggestion. The quality of Tolkien has withstood the test of time. I highly doubt that the Galidon't line of products will do the same. All the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

To Allan, Chris, and all others interested: My humorous input: I must say that I simply could not live without reading LEGO Idea Books.... <grin> Okay, now my less humorous input: I think I will have to side with Allan (based on his previous post) (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I'm not sure that we can generalize like that. Most of what _I_ read is non-fiction designed to teach a person how to do something (use the perl split() function, plant bamboo, teach the philosophy of appropriate technology, etc.) A close (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

I'm going to make an assumption here, knowing that I could very well be wrong. I don't think that Chris was trying to say that reading is obsolete or inferior to other media, I think he was just trying to pose different sides of the argument... I've (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) up? (...) No. I'm saying that I can see how one would come, through a non-rigorous examination, to believe that stance. But even when a correlation is shown (which we haven't pointed to) it says nothing of causality. (...) Well, they tell you (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

<BIG snip> As an avid reader and attendee of literary (and other) conventions I really want to weigh in on this subject. I believe that reading is an indespensible tool for learning and growing in the present. There are two things I get from books (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) You'll have to forgive this member of the laity, but I'm kind of unsure what you're saying here. Do you mean to say that even when a link is shown to exist, there is no explanation of it's cause? I'm having trouble with this..... perhaps you (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Does it offend you that I hobby-research lay opinion on education or something? A correlation says that when you observe X, you are to some extent likely to ovserve Y as well. Y might be phrased as _not_ Z which means that X and Z are (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) No, not at all. I honestly meant what I said. It's just that some of your terminology and phrases were way above my head. See the two paragraphs below for further examples. But to be honest again, I didn't realize you were researching (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Unfortunately, the Discovery Channel (along with its siblings) is very close to the worst source of science information currently available to the mainstream public. That channel has countless programs that present such "frontiers of science" (...) (22 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Allan, are you saying you don't get what the difference between correlation and causality is? Chris's words seem pretty clear to me... there seems to be a statistical link (a correlation) between poverty and education level, to wit, people who (...) (22 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) [snip] (...) Really? I don't get TV, but I'd been under the impression that these channels had some pretty good stuff even if it was _Popular Science_ caliber rather than _Nature_ caliber. What you're describing sounds more like _Omni_. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Upon further reflection (and watching) I can say that certain mainstream "nature" type programs aren't bad, especially the stuff on deep-sea exploration. Some of the military and "justice files" stuff might be good, too, but I can't speak with (...) (22 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I get the sense this is the major point of your argument, and one that I must agree with. My previous arguments were based on *my* experience with the different media. Surely, as you imply, electronic media could be employed differently and in (...) (22 years ago, 2-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I find myself disagreeing with that. I have little experience of US printed journalism, but I find the broadcast journalism to be nothing more than "infotainment". It my be a cultural thing(?). (...) Interestingly, I read a quote from "Stupid (...) (22 years ago, 2-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) You are, of course, absolutely correct to point out the difference between correlation and causation, but it must be recalled that statistical data are routinely used by both sides in all kinds of discussions, so Allan can be forgiven for (...) (22 years ago, 2-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Yes, I agree with all of the above. Nevertheless it's irrelevant. My question really was to Allan, because I honestly didn't understand what it was he didn't understand about what Chris said. (...) Me too. (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Hey! My irrelevance is *always* relevant. I've noticed that Chris' grasp of statistics is stronger than mine, and sometimes his articulations on the subject can muddle my brain a bit (more). Perhaps Allan was suffering a similar verbal (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I think the point I was trying to make to Christopher was that I didn't realize the debate had turned into a research project. I just thought we were talking about the importance of reading. As it was, I wasn't exactly sure what he was driving (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) We were. That's all. I'm not categorizing your responses and writing papers. It's just a hobby of mine to explore what people think about education. I used the phrase "hobby-research" a single time in a throwaway comment. Such a comment does (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Sorry, I guess I didn't realize that the phrase wasn't meant to be taken at face value. From the way I read it here, you were gathering commentary and opinions in some loose research project. The same way that 'hobby farming' actually (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I guess if loose can mean _very_ loose then it's still OK. You were suggesting a difference in status between conversation and hobby-research but to me they're the same thing. I talk about the things I'm thinking about. That's research of a (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes: <snip> I'm starting to realise something... Maybe should have realised it sooner. Perhaps we need a disclaimer from you. (or you from us) If I get the sense of what I snipped away, what you do when (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) The charter of the group reads as follows: "lugnet.off-topic.debate– Off-topic (non-LEGO®) discussions: debates, controversies, etc." Although it's called .debate, I had always thought that there was room for open personal discussions within (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) No, do NOT do that! My post was to try to clear up some confusion on my part (and perhaps others) on where you are coming from, and build a new basis for constructive dialog. If you take away from that the idea that I'm thinking you should not (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Hmmm...I think these are all very closely related ideas. Yes, debate has a specific meaning -- but classically, formal arguments are comprised of appeals to ethos, pathos, and logos. To use non-greek terms, a formal argument appeals to one's (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)