 Off-Topic / Debate / 16109
Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:15:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
<snip>

Perhaps we need a disclaimer from you. (or you from us) If I get the sense
of what I snipped away, what you do when you post here isn't debate as most
rationals understand it. Debate has a specific rigorous meaning.

The charter of the group reads as follows:

"lugnet.off-topic.debate– Off-topic (non-LEGO®) discussions: debates,
controversies, etc."

Although it's called .debate, I had always thought that there was room for
open personal discussions within threads.  I apologize for misunderstanding.

What you're
doing isn't debate. Rather it's sharing your emotional outlook on matters
that matter very much to you.

Noted.

I apologize if I caused any confusion.  It won't happen again.  I will be
staying out of any future debates in this group.

I didn't realize there was such a formal structure and adherance to rules
within the .debate group.

There's nothing wrong with that, per se. In fact it's quite good and
important. But it's liable to cause confusion if other participants aren't
clear on that.

I thought I made it pretty clear that many of my statements were opinions
backed up by no facts whatsoever.  It was not my intention to disguise
anything I said as fact, or break the rules of said debates.  Again, my
apologies to the group.

Take for example the whole "review" thing. I was frankly flummoxed when,
after I and others presented clear and cogent definitions of what a review
actually was and why your site posts weren't reviews, when after that, why
you didn't agree with us and stop calling them reviews.

This isn't entirely true.  I renamed them 'iPinions' at the end of that
discussion.  They have been labled as such ever since.

http://www.apotome.com/builder/index.htm#ipinions

No one has complained since then.

Rather it's as if we were talking about two completely different things and
just weren't communicating at all. Different bands.

This is the same thing, in some ways, isn't it?

Agreed.  We have two different opinions on what qualifies as debate.  My
dictionary defines it as such:

"A discussion of any question; argument; dispute."

That was all I saw the topic as being; a discussion of the question of the
value of reading.  I guess the definition of 'debate' is open to
interpretation, but again I didn't realize that a formal imposed structure
existed within this group.

You say heartfelt things about reading, things you believe, even know in
your heart to be true, but provide no logical basis, proof, statistics, etc.
(the sort of stuff that rational(1) people tend to want to see when
evaluating arguments or discourse)

Chris and others point that out and say that they're not ready to be
convinced without data and logic to back up the assertion.

I can't disagree.

I haven't yet replied to your comments on the 10020 auction threads for fear
of the same disconnect. I can elaborate 1/2 dozen rational, logical,
sensible reasons for why LD auctioned those sets off and why it's a good
thing for LD and for us, and and and... and I can even possibly convince all
the rational people I'm right!

Since that discussion isn't happening in .debate, do the same rules apply?
In that forum I am simply stating my preference as a customer.  I feel the
auctions are bad for the company as a whole.

But none of those will do a whit of good against a heartfelt feeling (held
by an emotive person) that these auctions are "icky"(2). No reason, no
logic, no numbers are going to counteract that. They just *are* icky and
offend the sensibility of some.

Indeed.  Which merits some discussion doesn't it?  Often I've found myself
as the only one sharing a particular opinion about LEGO.  At least on the
auction issue I'm at last a part of a group of folks who have similar feelings.

2 - That's Suz's term of course but it's a good generic shorthand for that
viewpoint I think...

I liked her term.  I thought it summed things up nicely.

3 - ever take a Myers-Briggs (sp?) ? What was your score?

Never heard of it, sorry.  Is it some sort of intelligence test or
personality scoring or something?  I found references on the web talking
about the 'Myers Briggs topology' as though it was some sort of testing
structure or methodology or something.  But I couldn't find an actual test
called this.

All the best,
Allan B.