 Off-Topic / Debate / 16104
Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:25:41 GMT

Chris's words seem pretty clear to me... there seems to be a statistical
link  (a correlation) between poverty and education level, to wit, people
who are poor seem to have less formal education. But he's caveating that by
pointing out that merely noting that statistical correlation doesn't imply
causality.

You are, of course, absolutely correct to point out the difference between
correlation and causation, but it must be recalled that statistical data are
routinely used by both sides in all kinds of discussions, so Allan can be
forgiven for suggesting a causative relationship between some A and some B.

I think the point I was trying to make to Christopher was that I didn't
realize the debate had turned into a research project.  I just thought we
were talking about the importance of reading.

As it was, I wasn't exactly sure what he was driving at when he got into
some of the statistical jargon.  I still don't.  :)

For that matter, we can't dismiss statistics simply because life doesn't
always work by the numbers--I cross the street on the basis of informal ad
hoc statistical reasoning: "if the light is red and I don't see a car
coming, I am X% safe to cross the street here and now."  Sure, we seldom
articulate it to ourselves that way, but in any sort of cost/benefit
scenario, don't we go through some sort of similar analysis?

Further to my note above.... I guess I was trying to get Christopher to
realize that perhaps it's not possible to quantify the value of reading.
Perhaps it's something that's out there, like music, films, paintings etc.
that really doesn't fit into a research model or a pie chart.

But... because it was a debate, I was more than willing to read and digest
his theories... I just couldn't understand what the point was he was trying
to make.  I'm not learned in the world of statistics, so I was hoping he
could drop some of the jargon and put his thoughts into English.  :)

All the best,
Allan B.