 Off-Topic / Debate / 16007
Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:36:15 GMT

<BIG snip>

As an avid reader and attendee of literary (and other) conventions I really
want to weigh in on this subject.  I believe that reading is an indespensible
tool for learning and growing in the present.  There are two things I get from
books and nowhere else.
1.  They engage my mind and induce wild imaginings.  I love to read and I
allways come away with fresh viewpoints and new ideas, much more so than from
TV or movies.  Can TV and movies spark my imagination?  Sure, but I find books
a much better springboard because it requires my imagination to get going and
it just doesn't stop.
2.  I can connect with characters and the author much more closely.  I find
that from my readings I have been able to more clearly understand peoples
motives and goals.  I would say this is because a book puts us inside a
characters head, we are not watching the action, we are the action.  We develop
an understanding and a bond with that character.  Although he is not me, I can
understand his actions as easily (sometimes moreso) than mine.

Are books required for education?  No.  Videos and computer programs can teach
much more quickly and interactively than books.  Anybody that thinks
differently should go out, try themselves and see what results a little
experimentation would turn up.

Are books currently necessary for education?  Yes.  There are not yet enough
videos or programs to teach every subject.  There might be someday, but right
now we have books.

The reading that makes me a well rounded individual, and *I* believe is
necessary for anyone to be well rounded, is recreational reading.
(specifically sci-fi ;) )  I don't mean to sound snobbish but this is the only
viewpoint I have been shown.  All my friends like to read sci-fi, a few freaks
don't like hard sci-fi though.  The people I meet that don't read sci-fi don't
seem as interesting or knowledgeable to me.  This could be for several reasons,
but as this is my opinion I'll put a bias on it for the sake of argument.

Leonard