 General / 36136
Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:29:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

If you could leave -any- book on Kjeld's nightstand for him to read
tonight, what would it be?

_The Timeless Way of Building_ by Christopher Alexander

I guess I was thinking along the lines of,
Steven Levy's "Insanely Great"
because I wish Kjeld were the Steve Jobs of toys.

Yes!  It would be way cool if they hired Jobs to captain the ship.

[snip]
I'd really like to leave a fun children's book, like
  Richard Scarry's "What Do People Do All Day?"
It's still a favorite of mine.

Yeah!  But if you go looking for it today (and you can find it at all) you • find
this thin little abridged viersion.  The one I had as a kid was twice as • thick
and they cut some of the coolest stuff.  :-(

That is a shame.  What a wonderful book; I hope I still have my copy
somewhere.
My favorite story is the when the baker puts in way too much yeast and the
oven explodes.  Also liked the story about the farmer who grows the corn and
how logs become furniture or paper towels.  A most excellent book.

And, as Steve Bliss tells us, there were a few licensed play sets.  I got one
from a garage sale when I was a kid and I played with that for many hours
building and re-building.  Much faster than building with Lego bricks :)

__Kevin Salm__