 Off-Topic / Debate / 16110
Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:20:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
<snip>

Perhaps we need a disclaimer from you. (or you from us) If I get the sense
of what I snipped away, what you do when you post here isn't debate as most
rationals understand it. Debate has a specific rigorous meaning.

The charter of the group reads as follows:

"lugnet.off-topic.debate– Off-topic (non-LEGO®) discussions: debates,
controversies, etc."

Although it's called .debate, I had always thought that there was room for
open personal discussions within threads.  I apologize for misunderstanding.

What you're
doing isn't debate. Rather it's sharing your emotional outlook on matters
that matter very much to you.

Noted.

I apologize if I caused any confusion.  It won't happen again.  I will be
staying out of any future debates in this group.

No, do NOT do that!

My post was to try to clear up some confusion on my part (and perhaps
others) on where you are coming from, and build a new basis for constructive
dialog. If you take away from that the idea that I'm thinking you should not
participate here, I've completely miscommunicated and it is I who should
apologise.

And I do.