 General / 36127
Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:09:06 GMT

I think the affected old-style verbiage employed by Pyle is a turn-off for many
kids.  My son won't read him even though he's interested in the subjects.

I agree with you.  I remember struggling with it in the beginning as a ten
year old.  However, the accomplishment of figuring out how to read the
stories was great.  The stories themselves were excellent.

reading is extremely important for developing young minds

How so?

Chris

I believe that reading is important for children for several reasons.
First, reading introduces new ideas and subjects.  This leads to a strong
desire to learn throughout life.  Next, reading requires a person to think
(unlike television which does not require much thought).  You can not see
what is happening in a book - you must imagine it for yourself.  A person
also has time to step back from the book and contemplate about what is being
written.  I also believe that reading can make people more openminded to
learn new ideas and thoughts which may be different from their own.
Overall, reading can lead to a well rounded person with many different
interests.

Ben