 Off-Topic / Debate / 16191
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:22:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
<snip>
As did the British Empire and the United States.  Why?  There was no 'clear
victory' of either side in that war ('cause like, Canada's still here :) )
but, bottom line, imho,-- education.  First it was war.  Then realizing that
neither party was getting anywhere with it, they grew up, sucked it up, put
aside their differences (sure it took decades),  got to a point where they
could say 'we agree to disagree'.  Look at the countries now.

Huh? I'm pretty sure that there was a clear victor in the American
Revolution, otherwise our money would still have a picture of the Queen on
it. (no real comment on why Canada is here :))

Education is good, I also think that having a common goal or enemy can bring
countries together. Kind of like how it works in a family sometimes. I can
pick on my brother all I want, but if someone outside of my family tries to
mess with him, they have to mess with me also.

Now if the world was to be attacked by aliens the I think as a world we
could put aside our differences in order to combat the common enemy, the
aliens. Well maybe, there would probably be some country that would try to
suck up to the attacking aliens and become allies with them, and the French
would just surrender....ok ok, just kidding.

jt

like Independance Day--I really liked the Presidents speech - the world
united with one voice--'we shall not go quietly into the night...' etc.

Sometimes I wish there was an external threat to humanity, cause that would
put all these petty differences into perspective--oh wait, there is--the
environmental disaster mankind has inflicted on the world!

Anyway, that's a topic for another time.

My point b/w US and UK was not that the US didn't achieve what they wanted -
ie Independance, it was that the empire didn't route the US, nor did the US
route the empire, and a border was established and the confilct ceased,
'cause both parties got to the point where they realized that the conflict
couldn't go on.  The war could have continued--the US troops were as far as
Stoney Creek, Ontario (though to be said, we had Mackinaw Island, taken with
one shot :) )-- and we could have been bitter bitter enemies, rehashing the
sins of our fathers thru the generations, fighting skirmishes along the
49th.  But we didn't.  No, as it stands, longest *un*defended border in the
world ('xcept when you're trying to smuggle booze from the duty free).
That's maturity.  That's education.  That's putting aside the diffeences and
realizing that we have more in common than naught.

Dave