 Off-Topic / Debate / 16146
16145  |  16147
Subject:
Scariness (was Re: Conflict in the Middle East)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:38:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
The only way for a true peace to become a reality in the Middle East is for
one side or the other to achieve a complete military victory.  Appeasement
got us where we are … victory can bring peace.

People that prize peace do not express themselves in terms of "complete
military victory."  And you think I make scarey comments?

I was tempted to reply to James with "this is one of the scariest, most
disturbing posts I've ever read on LUGNET."... but I thought I had better
not! ;)

Scott A

I think Israel already has complete superiority by way of arms.  Why don't
they just march on in and commit genocide? Perhaps that will satisfy you --
conquest "Joshua" style? "And they utterly destroyed all that was in the
city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with
the edge of the sword."

I personally don't live with the idea that it's ok let my son go out into the
world with explosives strapped to his body and become a homicide bomb,

Is it okay for him to go into the world carrying rifles in a foreign land
with which to commit homicide en masse? Could he drive or command a tank?
Could he use a bulldozer to run over people in their homes? Bomb? Rifle?
Bulldozer? There's a difference? The instrument is not the issue, the issue
is usage and the intent to kill.

For the record, I agree that that people should NOT leave their countries to
commit acts of aggression.  Everyone should stay home with their families.
The U.S. should abandon aid to the middle east and be totally neutral, if at
all possible.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you would be good enough to remove the name
"Hop-Frog" from your replies.  I'd REALLY hate for there to be any confusion
as to the statements that are yours versus my own.

-- Hop-Frog