 Off-Topic / Debate / 16194
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:17:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
<snip>
As did the British Empire and the United States.  Why?  There was no 'clear
victory' of either side in that war ('cause like, Canada's still here :) )
but, bottom line, imho,-- education.  First it was war.  Then realizing that
neither party was getting anywhere with it, they grew up, sucked it up, put
aside their differences (sure it took decades),  got to a point where they
could say 'we agree to disagree'.  Look at the countries now.

Huh? I'm pretty sure that there was a clear victor in the American
Revolution, otherwise our money would still have a picture of the Queen on
it. (no real comment on why Canada is here :))

Um, arguably if you were to place the AR in the context of the overall NA
colonial struggle, as just one part of the entire multiparty "war" (other
parts included the French and Indian war, and the War of 1812, as well as
undeclared naval wars and stuff I left out) among several colonial powers,
indigenous peoples, and colonists on the North American Continent, one could
argue that there was no clear victor. (the US arguably "lost" the War of
1812, at least from some perspectives... our invasion of Canada was
repulsed, DC was sacked, etc.)

That may be what David was referring to. Now I happen to disagree. We were
the clear victor in the larger context (who knew Russia was going to be a
player back in 1743?) and pax Americana is the result. It just took longer
than just one revolution. :-)

By the same token the "war" among the Zionist colonists (today's
"Israelis"), Arab colonists (today's "Palestinians"), major powers, adjacent
states and previous indigenous peoples that started in the late 1800s and is
continuing today ain't over yet.