 Off-Topic / Debate / 16093
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:16:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Afghanistan has a some chance of being a success story because we did
win a decisive and complete victory (well, ok, so there's a few elements
still bouncing around, but they have little support).

It certainly was "decisive" for the 5,000 - 8,000 civilians killed to keep
the US body-bag-count low. You may consider it a "victory", but which of the
war aims have been met?

The US took control of a route to Central Asian Oil and Gas fields that does
not pass through Russia nor Iran? Particularly interesting, when we know
Bush has personal interests in this sector.

I shall have to change my question! You may consider it a "victory", but
which of the *stated* war aims have been met? ;)

I'd have to know what were the stated war aims. IMO, all statements on that
issue were too vague to be comprehensible. :-/
And frankly, this conflict still does not fit my definition of "war". Maybe
"intervention" is more like it. And there is a difference, AFAIAC.

As for the ME, it is the opposite: it does fit my definition of war, only
both parties don't admit it is in fact a civil war. A very awkward one, but
still...

Pedro