 Off-Topic / Debate / *11131 (-100)
  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) I think we crossed some signals here, since you appear to be responding to part of my post as if it were part of Duane's. I was questioning why your post was singled out in the manner of a LP recruitment poster, but I absolutely wasn't saying (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) What I don't get is how people can't seem to comprehend that I didn't say that. You went right by my explanation of the whole quote and used the out-of-context quote again. That a mistake was made is okay, but the same one over and over? I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  LP Demographics

I have to echo Duane on this... GREAT analysis, Dave! While I am not sure that there might have been a few categories missed I don't see that as at the crux... the point is that there are filters you can apply I think you could apply your filters (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Now we're getting somewhere! You've spelled out the heart of the debate in my mind perfectly, although I was trying to remove the LP from my portion entirely since I can neither float nor sink the LP stance. -Duane (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: women and tools!

(...) Go for the cobalt bits. (I think they're cobalt - can't remember) They are the ones with the gold color to them (or maybe that's the true color of money). I have a whole set and they work well on most everything, wood, metal, whatever. The (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Now *that's* a worthy debate. It was actually my impression that the recent presidential election had higher than usual turnout, especially among African-Americans, but I don't have the numbers at hand to back that up, either (I'll check on (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) <snip> (...) That's not my intent at all. I'm sure we all could find other things to do with our time if much of our resposibility were removed. (...) Comprehension has nothing to do with it in my mind. I've seen the question arise about how (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say. (...) While I don't have numbers in front of me because politics is not my area of expertise, I am under the understanding that voter totals seem to be going down more every year, across the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Ah, thank you. Your phrasing has made me realize what I've been missing in your previous posts, and some clarification from my "side" is indeed in order. Let me paraphrase and see if I'm understanding you: You're objecting to the assertion (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) It's easier to mock than say something substantive, I suppose. Let me note I never said I had superior knowledge of what it's like to be a woman. Anyway, here's some more rope - you're just proving the title of this string. Bruce (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Fair enough. I should assert outright that a previous post of mine will probably have hit before this one makes it to the board, so I'm sorry if I overlap. We've gotten to the crux of your dispute with his post; that he seems to be speaking on (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Applause.wav Clap, clap, clap, excellent performance. In one posting, you've relegated me as nothing more than a person with personal problems. Excellent comeback! I can see there is no point in debating anything with you. You obviously know (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Now: women and tools!

(...) Ah, women and tools. My favorite subject. I have several of the adjustable wrenches. Though I always use a screwdriver to pop open paint can lids, but it probably depends on what kind of paint can you're opening. I'm contemplating a new drill (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) I meant it as something of a joke, but I see I was correct: that ain't a chip on your shoulder, it's a boulder! If you are a Libertarian who can't be bothered, that's a personal problem of yours. If you are saying there are hordes of (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes: <snip...> (...) My wife says that opening jars is the only other reason women keep men around. ;) James (who probably does less than his "fair share" of the workload, but his wife keeps claiming she's (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Not even going there. (...) party. Who is doing that? I'm certainly not doing that. If my posts sound that way, then I'm perhaps choosing the wrong words. You can take this whole "LP" thread and insert any other party you'd like there and the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I do. (And I will again, if it keeps going.) I foolishly thought that I might appeal to reason, and see if off-topic.debate can be worth my while again, instead of being sucked up by the Scott & Larry show. <snipped 'He's the bad guy & I'm not (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I was going to stay out of this but...(1) While I possibly agree with you Larry, this seems to be one of those times where it's appropriate for the parents to send BOTH kids to their rooms without supper. I still am not convinced it's good to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) I learned other ways from my mom that work a little better than those rubber thingies (we had those also). On a brand new jar, a well placed spoon does wonders to release the pressure. On an absolutely stuck jar, my mom had this adjustable (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) By her own assertion, though, she "was trying to respond to the "a failing on minorities and women to understand the Libertarian message."" She's responding to a point that wasn't being asserted; in effect, she's having an argument with an (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) At the risk of starting another thread, I have been reading the posts, but this whole new thing of reading a post, responding, then going and downloading my email, pulling up the emailed link for the posting, clicking on the button to post the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) Everyone that is bothered by it ought to. I ought to, for that matter. (...) I admit I ought to do a better job of ignoring Scott Arthur's drivel. But I just don't suffer fools gladly, and when he gets going full steam my perception of him as (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) You can clarify all you want, I've read them all. I think Katie raised a valid point though. (...) It may not be that it *isn't* convincing, or viable. It may just be that women and minorities are too busy fighting other fires to participate. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Great idea! You wouldn't have lasted four years here though. My dogs would have just eaten all your socks in that time. You wouldn't have to worry about learning to wash them though, you'd just be buying new ones all the time :-) (...) (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) any (...) Amen! (...) or (...) Can't eat out. I live in the country, the nearest "town" is 11 miles away and only has *2* so called restaurants. Interesting thread though....... I eat soup out of a can and my dogs eat chicken, and fresh (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Katie, at the risk of enflaming your obvious passion on this issue, have you been reading Bruce's clarifications (and/or mine) of Bruce's original point? He's several times rephrased the original post, but it seems that you're irritated at a (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) Duane, You hit the nail on the head. I was trying to respond to the "a failing on minorities and women to understand the Libertarian message." Katie (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) Insults are insults. I guess to apply an adjective depends on the perception. I've seen people insulted at the infantile level, and I've seen them insulted on a level so high that they didn't even know they were insulted. (...) They are never (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) It took my wife nearly four years, but she finally got me to pick my socks up off of the living room floor. Of course it might have been the fact that she taped them to a ceiling light fixture just as company was arriving.... :-) Anyway... My (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Self-made diet

(...) Mmmm.... Culinary auto-cannibalism! Dave! (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I think you missed James' point - you can't control Larry, you can only control yourself. I need to remind myself of this all the time. :-) Bruce (ooooo, sorry, that was a dig at myself, not Larry!) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) When are insults not infantile? Whaen are they ever required? (...) I am trying to be constructive. Are you? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Idunno, faced with the prospect of eating my wife's cooking or learning to cook myself, I chose the latter. Don't complain about the moose-turd pie unless you are willing to become the cook. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I hear what you are saying James. But I have went much further than Larry ever has. I am not going to stand by and let him try to insult me. I do not expect you would either. Let's just wait and see how Larry responds to my posts. Scott A (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) "If only...." "Infantile insults"? That sounds like an insult in itself. It sounds like you are trying to avoid any responsibility what-so-ever. -Duane (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) In words, but not in deeds. <snipping again.> You're missing the point, Scott, and you're still trying to dance. I don't care if you think Larry is leading or not; every time you bring this up ("if only Larry" "if Larry just" "if he just did (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I agree with you 100%. This would be much less mess if Larry just answered the points I put to him. He throughs insults at me, I ask him questions in return. He just is not willing to justify his opinion in any way: A recent one : (URL) older (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Katie, Sounds to me like you just have bad luck on finding men ;-) Men AND women should realize that they are NOT going to change their spouse in any major way. And there are men out there that like to cook, you just need to look harder - or (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) As I see it, her response (and she can CMIIAW!) was basically a rant triggered by issues you raised. You just happened to be the one to set it off. I recognize it because at one time or another I have agreed with everything she wrote-- okay, (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.test, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) You are correct - it's like the rest of the quote, even when I point it out, is invisible. Dang. Anyway, yes, I am of the opinion that women and minorities *do* get the message and don't buy it. But I was trying to leave it open at the time to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) <snip the "If only Larry" part> If you're really trying to quit, you're failing miserably. It takes two to tango, and you guys have been dancing together for a long time. James (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) I agree with you. I try my best – I really do. If Larry just stuck to the debate, rather than get personal, there would be much less noise. For the record, I try never to get personal / resort to insults and I never say anything here that I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Yes, the racism was at least party government sponsored. But I think it is a mistake to blame some government bogeyman rather than admitting that it was a reflection of the electorate. And yes, there was pressure put on businesses and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) As demonstrated by the +/- 300,000 votes the LP has typically garnered in presidential elections, many people apparently place the LP at a lower priority than other matters! In any case, Bruce's point, if I may be so bold, was not to assert (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) Nope. (...) Don't know. I've posted about it once before. I really wish they'd take it to email, or just can it. Barely anyone else finds the discussions intellectually intriguing enough to respond. -Shiri (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Nor any drop to drink

(...) That's not at all true--there's a toilet down the hall with blue water, and it's indoors. (...) <cap ish> adj. of or pertaining to a cape Dave! (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: boulders on shoulders

(...) As I interpreted it, and mind you it could be a case of snippage, she was responding to "A failing on minorities and women to understand the Libertarian message?". She seemed to be pointing out that she is a woman and does get the message. It (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.test, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Nothing personal, but...

Am I the only one around here who adds off-topic.debate to their skip filter whenever the Scott & Larry show gets going at full steam? Like I say, it's nothing personal, but it is blatantly obvious that you two don't see eye-to-eye, don't understand (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Yep... the molecules in the atmosphere are the ones causing the sky's blue appearance. That's also why the sun appears yellow on the background of the sky (blue and yellow are complementary/opposite on the RGB scale, which is what our eyes (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) The media says I should be. And I think the explosion of eating disorders among teen age girls says that they are getting the message. I personally ignore all advertising. I'm a marketers nightmare. I don't believe or pay attention to any ads (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Really? (...) I am not asking you to justify that - not even anything near that difficult. As I said before, I am only trying to get you to justify your statements. I have became tired of all your unsubstantiated facts and hollow opinion. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) At least one person was found guilty. Fact enough. Is your line not that the proprietor should be free allow skin colour to decide the level of service s/he provides? That s/he should be allowed to humiliate a fellow citizen purely because of (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Yet again, you have snipped my points rather than respond to them. (...) It is my perception. I may set aside time to find a quote later. (...) Youch, another insult! (...) Is this a mantra thing?? (...) Perhaps you should read this (again): (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

Tom answered you quite adequately already. You, however, don't seem to grasp just how ridiculous you look for repeatedly asking me to justify my opinion that LUGNET is more white and more male than the averages when everyone else in the thread has (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

You ought to wait 2-3 days, at least, before bumping... (...) discriminate at all. Not enough facts in the story to judge what is going on in this particular case. Not an important enough case, really, to justify my trying to research it further to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Please provide a cite where I said this. I don't claim EVERY problem can be solved better, (For example the problem of your obdurateness is no doubt insoluble under any system) just that the aggregate of all problems would be solved better, on (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gasohol?

Snip most of it (...) Me either. A number of relatives on my wife's side are farmers (corn in MI, dry wheat in Colorado, etc.) and I really really feel bad for the US farmer, he has been seriously messed with for 70+ years now. ++Lar (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) But I am sure that there would be many who would be willing to pay a premium to send their kids to a "whites only" school or use other whites only services. With your text above, we return to the LP's dilemma. The LP is made up of a membership (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

** bump ** (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) All (...) Really? (...) I am not asking what you *could* do, I am asking what you *did* do. (...) Nope, this is an illustration of how hard it is to get you to justify yourself on an exceedingly minor (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

It is your choice to put things on the petty level of "winning" or "losing." In my opinion, I find that attitude quite cowardly and childish and only contributes to the impression that you take little responsibility in your actions. Since rudeness (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gasohol?

Ignoring the total net energy balance, here's another load of crap you can vent on if you wish: The EPA says 15% ethanol gasohol gets no worse mpg than 0% ethanol gasoline. Anyone with a brain can look up the BTU/lb output of ethanol and quickly (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) My last word on this - you are the only one showing hostility. I may be rude (In your mind), but if you equate rudeness to hostility, you have issues you need to work out with a therapist. That's it, I'm done with you. You can say all you want (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gasohol?

Boy, that's an even scarier "solution"! I'll get fed up with Kalifornia sooner or later. It would probably be safest to move to Texas at this point, because if GW screws with his home state, he's liable to not live out the year (some of those (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gasohol?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes: Snip (...) ADM, just about my least favorite corporation. I don't know what I hate worse, their welfareism, or their smarmy ads on the sunday talking head shows about their goshdarn good for the world (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) <snipped my comments> (...) HE is the one who initially chose to be aggressive, not me. I never offered any deliberate provocation and never insulted his views, opinions or statements. When I told him to mind his tone (and this is not the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gasohol?

Just move to Canada. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Look Dan, (is Dan right?) You're still inviting him to step outside. You aren't staying in the bar to smash a bottle over his head, but you ARE inviting some kind of further agression. Why? What if he did come down to LA, ring your doorbell, (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian Propaganda (was incorrectly referred to as SPAM elsewhere in the thread)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> ** bump ** (from UBB boards, the practice of replying to something that you hoped would get a reply so that the thread floats to the top of the list of things again) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd writes: <snip> I think you raise some good points but I'm not sure how to proceed since we seem a ways a part. As with Shiri's post about working conditions, I am not going to claim that things are not (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

<Important message: Please bear in mind that my questions are meant to be rhetorical, and not attacking. I am a white male, but I am not about keeping the woman down. Thank You.> (...) You are? Says who? Who will refuse to speak to you if you're (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is the sky blue in Libertopia

(...) You're only proving my point. :-) Beside, the sky isn't blue. Bruce (lost somewhere in the SoCal haze) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) ? But I didn't even mention absorption! Blathering on about absorption when discussing a phenomenon that is entirely due to scattering - now THAT would be anal-retentive. ;) Jeff J (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Wow. A delayed reaction insult. It was just sitting there saying "don't touch me". Scott A (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) "(we'll skip the dicussion on light absorbtion and leave it for some anal-retentive type)" (restored snip) I knew some anal-retentive type would take the bait.... :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Easy to ignore them, not so easy to deal with all the other people in the world/society around you that do not ignore them. And in fact buy into it. (...) Count? As in 2 plus 2 is 5? <grin> (...) As some one who lives within spitting distance (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) I think there are many pressures on men too. Modern man does not just go out and to a bit of huntin' and gatherin' - he also has to do all other sorts of other stuff. Both men & women are hounded by media images of what we should (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Actually... Although water and the sky appear blue for the same reason, it is not directly related to water itself (in vapour or liquid form). Oxygen, nitrogen, and water molecules are all approximately the same size, which happens to be just (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) This is a good example of poor snipping. Let me restore the salient portion to the above (before my name, immediately follwing the rest): "A fear by them that they *think* they *do* understand the Libertarian message (it's legit for businesses (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) Us "women" do understand the message. You think I have time to be active in the Libertarian party? I'm too danged busy fighting all the other stereotypes out there, such as, I'm supposed to be the size of Kate Moss and all the other starving (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McViegh is no Libertarian

(...) You assume I am not one? :-) (...) Do not have to sign a pledge to be a libertarian? (...) Can you be sure of that? How so? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) So where would that outlook stand on this story: (URL) (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) So where do Dave and I differ on this? How is there a class is difference between our views? (...) Where did I say that? Where? I think they are less likely too. I think any ideas they would have would be treated very sceptically. But I do not (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)

(...) You are wrong. Youch, an insult! (...) Youch, an insult! Go back and read the 1st message in this thread, you will see this whole "debate" is a troll. BTW - I have no middle name. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  How to make the ¢ sign (as in "My 2¢")

(...) Richard (and anyone else who has been *aching* to use the ¢ sign: From: (URL) (cute page, go see it) Mac users have it really easy. In whatever application you are in, type option-4. Viola! (gotta' love them Macs!-Matt) Windows folks... well, (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) That was the quote! Thanks Shiri! Dan (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Waco (time for a Subject change already)

(...) Tom, I've made my points, and stand by them. You are attempting to put words in my mouth, and I'm not sure why. Try reading and understanding BEFORE you type next time, please, 'cause I don't appreciate it. (...) Not even interested in having (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Selçuk both gave the quote, and couldn't remember who said it. Either way though, I still like the quote in its out-of-Stalin context. ("The death of one is a tregedy, the death of millions is a stastic.) The way Stalin used it, it's (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Yup! Small steps leading to bigger, and bigger steps. Think of how far we've come just in one century! At the same time, as Carl Sagan said, we are still in our stage of "global infancy" and need to get past the petty, destructive differences (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McViegh is no Libertarian

(...) I honestly don't know the answer to this one. Animals don't have rights the way we do but I still don't think that being cruel to animals is OK. I have heard claims the market can take care of most of it if a little publicity is used... But (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

I've made no threats to seek you out and do you any harm. If you wish to continue your hostility just know that you can ONLY do it on-line with me. Remember, that's your limit and that's the way it is. YOU suggested otherwise so if YOU would like to (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) My point is that while that is true NOW we would be foolish to let it be so for a billion, a million, or even a thousand years longer. Manifest destiny! Ad Astra Per Aspera. Our destiny is not to remain here, every single one of us, for the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

I'd much rather be rude than a threatening bully (used to be one when a child, when not being bullied, and choose not to be that kind of person again). You have been far more rude than me in this. That's it, I'm done commenting on your threats and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

I'm giving you an honest appraisal of what I perceive to be your problem of treating me rudely on-line. I haven't called your comments ridiculous or idiotic, nor have I previously approached you with sarcasm or cynicism. Nothing you can say will (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Gasohol?

Time for a new topic. Is anyone else as sick of Bush as I am? That man's head is stuck so far up the ass of industrial interests it scares me. I can't imagine what asinine BS that jerk is going to pull next. All I know is that it is SURE to hit my (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McViegh is no Libertarian

(...) Just curious on this last bit. One thing I've struggled with some is where it is appropriate for the law to step in. How much should the law step in to prevent animal cruelty, and how do we chose that line. This type of dilema strikes me as (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Waco (time for a Subject change already)

(...) Yes, you've shown yourself to be the polar opposite of someone else in this forum, and I can't understand why you're not debating HIM. To you, it's "all hail the gubmint, which can do no wrong" or "if it's a law, it must be right". The both of (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

Insults, insults, insults. Everything is insults with you. If you're not crying about getting them, you're dishing them out. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian Propaganda

This will be my last long post in this debate. If anyone has points to debate further with me, please break them down into smaller bite size chunks, where I can reply quickly. I have devoted far too much time to these posts, and it is starting to (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

There were many ways you could have approached my statement that reflected a desire for more clarity, yet you chose to be rude and obnoxious. You chose hostility over diplomacy. That's your game and I'm not impressed. You are the one with the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact